Richard Gombrich---New Discoveries about the Origins of the Buddhist Nuns---2017

Richard Gombrich New Discoveries about the Origins of the Buddhist Nuns 1/1 67′ 7,59 MB :arrow_down:

Links to similar content

1 Like

It would be helpful if the poster would offer a synopsis or comment of this hour long lecture. [My premature reaction to first 5 minutes]Which makes seems to offer inaccuries as facts, within the first 5 minutes. I cannot listen to it all now. I smiled and decided to save it for later, after hearing the speaker state that there cannot, as a matter of civil law and general acceptance, be valid ordination of Theraveda nuns. [edited: The opposite point of view is persuasively presented.]

1 Like

Dear Rose, thank you so much for your feedback!

I post all the resources from my personal study collection, and while I may not always agree with the premises or conclusions of some of them, they are—in my opinion—still valuable resources regarding important topics which need to be explored from different perspectives. In my experience there is no possibility for growth if one is exposed to agreeable views only.

Having said that I assure you that I would never post anything that was disrespectful to any being regardless of gender or creed, or with blatant disregard for facts in favour of one’s views.

As for your suggestion: I think it is a great idea to put a synopsis of every talk in those threads. Unfortunately I’m just a little mouse and it is already quite a feat for me to prepare and post all these talks alone.

Since this is a community site I was hoping for a helping hand: maybe you would be so kind to offer not only a synopsis (just a quick reply post outlining two or three major topics would be great—hopefully after listening to the entire talk :slight_smile:), but perhaps even start a new thread with your reflections on the issues that are worth exploring. In this way this resources will achieve their purpose: to extend our knowledge and understanding through wise consideration and discussion.

Wishing you all the best on your path! And thank you again for your feedback, I hope these resources will prove themselves as valuable to you and to all the members of this community as they were to me.

5 Likes

hmmm. I cannot volunteer my time right now, tho I try to contribute. The small part of the lecture which I have heard actually inspired some surprising and useful … things happen in my meditation, so your hope is already met. And I thank you for your post above, which I agree with. Ty for your excellent advice, and kind thoughts for us all. :sunny:

1 Like

Richard Gombrich presents a positive slightly dramatic review of a book Ven. Anālayo, New Discoveries about the Origins of the Buddhist Order of Nuns, to the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies in May 2017. Sound quality is excellent. Mr. Gombrich describes discoveries by Anālayo with discussion of narrative techniques, and what 8 parallel sources concerning the origination stories of Buddhist ordained nuns reveal. It is persuasively argued that negativity and minimization of respect for nuns began early in Buddhist texts development, starting with dropping of names and attainments, and progressing into portrayal of nuns as a source of danger, presented (slanderously) as incapable of monastic compossure. Mr. Gombrich suggests negative assumptions about misogyny in religion is at least for Buddhism an engineered false view, based on Anālayo’s research.

4 Likes

Sadhu and :anjal:, this is wonderful, thank you so very much for giving it a chance and even more for taking a few minutes to write a concise summary! I agree that prof. Gombrich’s style of presentation is quite emphatic and still very sharp, especially considering his advanced age.

There is also an interview with him on this very site, as part of an Early Buddhism Workshop:

1 Like

I very much enjoyed the lecture, in content, organization; I enjoyed offering a synopsis. I am grateful for your eloquent nudge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes