Romanian Speakers? How to say loving kindness meditation?

Can anyone tell me how to say “Loving-Kindness Meditation” in Romanian? These are some of the things we have hacked together:

meditație pe iubirii universale
Meditație plină de bunătate
Meditație de dragoste și bunătate
Meditarea Răspunsului Și Iubirea Nelimitată

We’re actually in a bit of a hurry, so if you know someone who could help, we would love it if you could contact them and ask.
EDIT: should have mentioned these are being carved into copper plates and enclosed in a stupa, so we kind of want to get it right.

4 Likes

Have you tried googling ‘mettabhāvanā’ and then clicking on Advanced Search and limiting the results to Romanian?

I just did that and on the first page of results found “meditația bunătății iubitoare” to be the commonest translation. Translating this to English with Google Translate yields “the meditation of the loving goodness”.

4 Likes

Maybe ask @scatterbrain.

3 Likes

I also came across a Romanian translation of the Karaṇīyamettasutta. It’s from the English rendering in a BPS Bodhi Leaf booklet by Francis Story.

Discursul asupra iubirii universale

Asta ar trebui să facă
acela care este priceput în bunătate
Și care cunoaște calea către pace:
Fie ca el să fie capabil și integru,
Clar și blând în vorbire,
Umil și nu îngâmfat,
Mulțumit și ușor de satisfăcut,
Neîmpovărat de sarcini și cumpătat în felul său de a fi.
Împăcat și calm și înțelept și priceput,
Nu mândru și pretențios în fire.
Fie ca acesta să nu facă nici cel mai neînsemnat lucru
Pe care înțelepții, mai apoi, l-ar blama.
Dorindu-și: În încântare și siguranță,
Fie ca toate ființele să fie lipsite de griji.
Orice fel de ființe ar fi;
Fie că sunt slabe ori puternice, fără excepții,
Cele mari și puternice, medii, scunde sau mici,
Văzute și nevăzute,
Cele ce trăiesc aproape sau în depărtare,
Cele născute și cele pe cale de a se naște –
Fie ca toate ființele să fie lipsite de griji!
Fie ca niciuna să nu o înșele pe alta,
Nici să nu disprețuiască vreo ființă, în orice stare.
Fie ca nimeni prin mânie sau rea-voință
Să nu dorească răul altcuiva.
Precum o mamă ce își protejează cu prețul vieții
Copilul ei, unicul ei copil,
La fel, cu inima larg deschisă
Ar trebui prețuite toate ființele vii;
Radiind bunătatea peste întreaga lume:
Împrăștiind-o în sus, înspre cer
Și în jos, înspre adâncuri;
Împrejur, fără frontiere,
Eliberat de ură și de rea-voință.
Fie că stă în picioare, merge, șede sau stă întins,
Eliberat de moleșeală,
Acela să mențină această conștientizare.
Acesta se spune că este adăpostul sublim.
Fără a urma concepții rigide,
Cel cu inima pură, având viziunea clară
Și eliberat de dorințe senzuale
Nu se va mai naște în această lume.

Meditația Buddhistă de Francis Story

3 Likes

@sabbamitta Thanks! Hopefully they are online.

Ven @Dhammanando, I should have specified… The project is copying a translation of loving kindness meditation on copper plates that will be enclosed in a newly built stupa in Sri Lanka. So I really want to get a native speaker’s approval. I’d hate to have some Romanian speaking yakkha get bent out of shape by a poor translation job and doom the life of the stupa. :japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

You could try here, there seems to be a number of romanian experts;

PS: you might have to explain the question really carefully. I asked a question on a different stack exchange but they closed my question basically they thought it was idiotic. :rofl:

1 Like

You might try contacting a Romanian Buddhist organization. For example, a message to this Facebook page for Buddhism Theravada Romania.

4 Likes

:cry: That’s too bad. Stackexchange is a particular kind of place. Many posts get shot down, don’t feel too bad.

1 Like

Sorry for being late to this party! I can’t believe it’s been almost a month since I last got on here!

@Snowbird Thank you for bringing Buddhism to Romania! Many people there would indeed benefit from it! And I can understand what you meant from any of those options, so I personally would have loved to see any of them!

In case you still need it, or anyone else searches for this:

• “Meditație plină de bunătate” - this one is good: meditation full of goodness.
  • “Meditație de dragoste și bunătate” - also good: meditation for love and goodness
  • “meditație pe iubirii universale” is slightly incorrect grammar. “Meditație pentru iubire universală” or “Meditație de iubire universală” would be a bit more correct. It means “meditation for universal love”. Or maybe “meditația iubirii universale” (the meditation of universal love)
  • “Meditarea Răspunsului Și Iubirea Nelimitată” - this one is a bit strange. The answer’s meditation and unlimited love?

I also tried googling for meditation types in Romanian to see what terminology people may be familiar with. @Dhammanando is correct that “meditația bunătății iubitoare” is the one that appears to be the most common. To me, it sounds like the kind of literal translation that Google would come up with, as a native unfamiliar with Buddhism I’d probably interpret it as “The meditation of the goodness that is loving”.

Other websites translate it as:

• “meditația iubirii și bunătății” - the meditation of love and goodness
  • “meditația compasiunii” - the meditation of compassion
  • meditația bunăvoinței” - the meditation of benevolence. I actually like this one the most, taken from a meditation meeting poster of a Theravada group. I feel it perfectly matches the pali translation for metta.

It’s also quite common to just see it as “meditație metta” - it’s one of those words that is getting adopted in all languages nowadays.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this! We really appreciate it.

2 Likes