Russian Suttas uploaded

I have uploaded the Russian translations of Majjhima Nikāya 25, 26, 29 and 30 as well as Theragāthā 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8–1.11 to SC. With much gratitude to the translator @LXNDR :anjal:

7 Likes

Thanks, @LXNDR, I like the translation a lot! Didn’t know you speak Russian!

A small correction regarding the spelling

«Съев эту мной разложенную приманку, олени будут жить долго, будут упитанными, она надолго придаст им сил.»

In Russian if a quote ends in a full stop or comma, the latter should be used after the quotation marks, not before. Thus, the correct spelling of the above sentence would be:

«Съев эту мной разложенную приманку, олени будут жить долго, будут упитанными, она надолго придаст им сил».

This mistake is not systemic: sometimes the full stop is written before the quotation marks, sometimes after. However, it is really bad for the reading flow, your eye gets kinda stuck there.

Besides, and this is a matter of personal opinion, I would rather leave Tathagata or Mara untranslated. While the jury is still out on Mara, I really think Tathagata is too big a conundrum to commit to a certain rendering in Russian.

2 Likes

sure, i agree, this is an eyesore, the texts had been typed out before i finally learned the correct punctuation within quotes, and it’s my dereliction that i didn’t go over it before submitting to Ayya Vimala :worried:

probably you’re right, i don’t have preference in this respect, i just followed the rendering of Torchinov i’ve been familiar with from his translation of The Diamond Sutra

2 Likes

Oh yeah, a couple of other things. It is actually in no way a mistake, since it is kind of optional (albeit advisable and preferred for better text comprehension), but in case you have second-level quotation marks, you may use the German ones („“) instead of the French ones («»). Just to give an example from MN 25:

«Охотник на оленей не раскладывает приманку с мыслью: „Съев эту мной разложенную приманку, олени будут жить долго, будут упитанными, она надолго придаст им сил“. Приманку он раскладывает с мыслью: „Утратив бдительность, олени клюнут на эту мной разложенную приманку и съедят её, утратив бдительность и съев её, станут опьянёнными, будучи опьянёнными, впадут в нерадение, а нерадивые, они, благодаря приманке, сделаются уязвимы“. […]

Another question is why you decided to use the quotation marks at all, opting out of the dialogical punctuation with long dashes. Again, it is by no means compulsory, I just wonder what your reasoning was. Let’s just look at what the first couple of sentenced would look like using long dashes:

Я слышал, что как-то раз, пребывая в парке Анатхапиндики в Роще Джеты близ Раджагахи, Благословенный обратился к монахам:

— Монахи!

— Преподобный! — ответили Благословенному монахи.

Благословенный молвил:

— Охотник на оленей не раскладывает приманку с мыслью: «Съев эту мной разложенную приманку, олени будут жить долго, будут упитанными, она надолго придаст им сил». Приманку он раскладывает с мыслью: «Утратив бдительность, олени клюнут на эту мной разложенную приманку и съедят её, утратив бдительность и съев её, станут опьянёнными, будучи опьянёнными, впадут в нерадение, а нерадивые, они, благодаря приманке, сделаются уязвимы».

In a dialogue, as rudimentary as it is in the Sutta, this punctuation scheme looks more natural. In fact, in fiction it is pretty much the only way to spell dialogues. Besides, it solves the problem which quotation marks you should use, since the first-level quotation is already marked with a long dash and you can use the French quotation marks for the second-level one.

Please do not regard it as criticism, the things I am talking about are just small technical aspects :slight_smile: Should I PM you if I have other question and / or ideas or would you prefer using the comment section?

that’s another aspect i don’t have preference for, i guess i just mindlessly followed the punctuation of the English text

when i think of it, yeah the dashes would impart the text a kind of dynamism

i don’t mind keeping the discussion open

2 Likes