SA 813 Translation

Does anyone know of an English translation of SA 813?

It seems @cdpatton hasn’t gotten to it yet: The Related Discourses | 14. Mindfulness of Breathing | Contents

But he has translated SA 803 which is similar…

Why do you ask?

1 Like

That’s a shame. I thought perhaps someone else might have translated it instead, such as Venerable Anālayo. I ask because when I look at the AI translation, the sutra looks quite interesting in how it discusses mindfulness of breathing in terms of the Satipaṭṭhāna.

Thus have I heard:

At one time, the Buddha was staying in the Jeta Grove, in the park of Anathapindika, near Savatthi.

At that time, the Buddha said to venerable Kassapa, “Now I will speak about diligently practicing the four foundations of mindfulness. Listen attentively and reflect well, and I will speak to you.”

Venerable Kassapa remained silent, without responding, three times.

Then venerable Ananda said to venerable Kassapa, “Master, the Buddha is addressing you.” He said this three times.

Venerable Kassapa then said to venerable Ananda, “I already know, venerable Ananda. I already know, O Venerable One.”

Then venerable Ananda said to the Buddha, “World-Honored One, the time has come! World-Honored One, the time has come! May the Blessed One teach the diligent practice of the four foundations of mindfulness, and when the monks hear it, they will receive it and practice it.”

The Buddha said to Ananda, "Listen attentively and reflect well, and I will speak to you. When a monk is breathing in, he knows, ‘I am breathing in.’ When a monk is breathing out, he knows, ‘I am breathing out.’ Thus, a wise disciple attends to the inhalation and exhalation.

When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, one practices with full awareness. Thus, a wise disciple remains aware of the body and mindfulness. When one remains aware of the body and mindfulness, one wisely thinks internally."

Buddha said to Ananda, “Suppose someone comes from the east in a carriage and has to travel over mounds of earth. Would they walk over these mounds of earth?”

Ananda replied, “Yes, they would, Lord Buddha.”

Buddha continued, “In the same way, when a disciple meditates on the breath, they should focus their attention inward, just as when they learn to meditate on the breath. They should examine their thoughts and feelings, and observe them without attachment. Once they can observe their thoughts and feelings, they will be able to engage in proper reflection. It is like a person traveling in a carriage from the south who encounters mounds of earth. Would they walk over those mounds of earth?”

Buddha continued, “In the same way, when a disciple observes their thoughts and feelings, they can engage in proper reflection. When they become aware of their mind, they will feel happy, experience a calm mind, and enter a state of liberation when inhaling and exhaling. They should remain focused on their thoughts and feelings, and they will understand the right way of reflection. It is like a person traveling in a carriage from the west who encounters mounds of earth. Would they walk over those mounds of earth?”

Buddha continued, “In the same way, when a disciple becomes aware of their mind, experiences a calm mind, and enters a state of liberation when exhaling and inhaling, they should remain focused on their thoughts and feelings, and they will understand the right way of reflection. They will be free from attachment and concern, and they will be skillful in the practice of the Dharma. It is like a person traveling in a carriage from the north who encounters mounds of earth. Would they walk over those mounds of earth?”

Buddha concluded, “In this way, a disciple who practices the Four Foundations of Mindfulness diligently and skillfully is like a person who travels through a crossroads and has to cross mounds of earth. They will walk over those mounds of earth without difficulty. Ananda, this is what it means to be a diligent and skillful monk who practices the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.” Upon hearing these words from Buddha, Ananda was delighted and followed them accordingly.

It is an AI translation though, hence my question. Thank you for the information though Bhante.

That’s interesting, but at least the place and the people involved seem not to match SA 813. For example, the opening of SA 813 refers to Kimbila (金毘羅 = jinpiluo) in the opening (佛住金毘羅聚落金毘林中).

Bhante Sujato’s translation of the parallel, however, SN 54.10, looks to be extremely similar to SA 813, down to also being addressed to Kimbila. The place is the same. The person is the same. It also goes through the four tetrads, and matches them with the Four Bases of Mindfulness, and it uses the analogy of a chariot / cart at a crossroads.

2 Likes