Samadhi or NREM sleep phase

I wonder if there is a difference between samadhi and mindful entry into the world - mindful NREM (Lucid dream).

Usually, people who focus on entering the lucid dream will enter the REM phase, because it is vivid and during it you can more easily realize that you are asleep.

The NREM phase, on the other hand, will be more about seeing lights, symbolic and archetypal images.

If one has experienced both phenomena - samadhi and lucid NREM. He or she could tell if it is the same or if there are differences. I came across a publication that powers like flying or levitating are in the fourth Jahna, because then there is already a REM conscious sleep phase.

Samma Samadhi isn’t a sleeping state or dream. It’s a state free of hindrances and unwholesome mental manifestations.

According to the dhamma, you are considered sleeping or “non-lucid” right now in your waking state if the 5 hindrances are present, since you are in a state of forgetfulness, you don’t see the danger (adinava), the gratification (assada), and the escape (nissarana) of your current predicament (dukkha, death).

Once you know the danger, the gratification, and the escape, you are aware of the situation (sati-sampajanna) then you are considered lucid, and that is what is meant by lucid. Becoming aware and remembering you’re in a burning house, rather than being forgetful of the situation.

Suppose a mendicant has got rid of desire and ill will while walking, and has given up dullness and drowsiness, restlessness and remorse, and doubt. Their energy is roused up and unflagging, their mindfulness is established and lucid, their body is tranquil and undisturbed, and their mind is immersed in samādhi. Such a mendicant is said to be ‘keen and prudent, always energetic and determined’ when walking.

• iti 111

Psychic powers known as iddhi or abhiñña are not relevant to samma samadhi, except for the only Supermundane abhiñña, destruction of asavas, which isn’t really a psychic power but a knowledge.

3 Likes

Thank you for the quote and your help. I realized that Samadhi can be achieved while walking and while awake. It is simply the abandonment of the five obstacles. Developing bliss and rapture, peace of mind. Just like that. However, some people talk about Nimmitas, deep absorption, where you are separated from the ability to walk - completely cut off from the five senses. Would you be able to distinguish this from a mindful nREM? I can’t seem to talk about my practice here, but some suttas talk about light during meditation. How do you explain this? As usual, I apologize for my English. I hope you can understand me.

I’ve done both and from my experience lucid dreaming is like being plugged into a VR video game, except it’s your mind making the environment and you can control the environment. You also know you’re sleeping and can choose to wake up when you want. This is a still a state of craving and suffering, and is actually quite stressful.

From my subjective interpretation of experience, in what I presume is 4th jhana, all you see is bright white light, and you are very much aware of what is happening, even more aware than you would in a lucid dream, and it feels very good because there is no sensual stimulation, you don’t feel your own body so the pain of having a body is gone, no hallucinations, no thoughts, and thus no sense of current activity and impermanence. While in contrast, being in a busy train station is filled with sensory stimulation, activity and impermanence overload, noise and smell arising and ceasing, cell phones ringing, train horns, lights flickering, people in your space, etc

So in conclusion, no 4th jhana is not at all like a lucid dream.

1 Like