Sāmantā āvāsā: why is this ablative translated as an accusative?

Tehi, bhikkhave, bhikkhūhi eko bhikkhu sāmantā āvāsā sajjukaṁ pāhetabbo

this is a quote from the Vinaya, Uposathakkhandhaka Kd 2
PTS 1.101–1.136

The whole Sangha has committed an offense:
‘Those monks should straightaway send a monk to a neighboring monastery:
Tehi, bhikkhave, bhikkhūhi eko bhikkhu sāmantā āvāsā sajjukaṁ pāhetabbo—’

I do not understand the case of sāmantā āvāsā: it looks very much like an ablative to me, so that would mean a monk was sent from the neighboring monastery rather than to that monastery - I would expect an accusative there, something like sāmantaṁ āvāsaṁ…

Could anyone help me here?
(apologies if I post it in the wrong place…)

3 Likes

It is not an ablative translated as an accusative, both sāmantā and āvāsā look like accusative plural forms (but you may not find those forms in a dictionary, I think they correspond to Sanskrit accusative plural endings (sāmantān āvāsān) where Pali regularly discards ending consonants of Sanskrit word-forms, so you get sāmantā āvāsā.

The immediately next sentence is “gacchāvuso, taṃ āpattiṃ paṭikaritvā āgaccha”, so from this sentence it is clear that one monk is sent to a neighbouring dwelling, and he is instructed to come back after having done what he was sent out for.

1 Like

From the book: A graduated Pali course https://www.online.buddhistcc.com/books/-a-graduated-pali-course-part-1.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2

There’s many different meaning usage of the Pāli cases:

Meaning\Word form Nominative Accusative Instrumental Dative Ablative Genitive Locative Vocative
Nominative :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Accusative :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Instrumental :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Dative :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Ablative :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Genitive :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Locative :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
Vocative :medal_military:
Adverbially :medal_military: :medal_military: :medal_military:
how many meaning? 2 7 6 6 1 5 6 1

So accusative form has 7 different possible meanings.

āvāsā could be in instrumental form and mean accusative.