Satipatthana frames of reference

Having trouble understanding what to be mindful of with in the four foundations of mindfulness in mind states vs mental qualities in the Satipatthana Sutta. Some of the mind states and qualities sound the same example
In mind
“ when a mind has passion a monk determines….@
and “
In mental qualities
“ when there us sensual desire a monk determines…”
Is there a good way of grouping together these things with in their respective foundations of mindfulness? I was thinking qualities consist of the 5 hindrances m. Idk that’s why I came here to ask

The version here at SuttaCentral comes with added headings grouping all items in their respective foundation, plus subgroups for the body and principles (dhammas) categories.

I’m not sure if this will be helpful to you but Bhikkhu Analayo has a guided Satipatthana meditation. I feel like I’ve gotten a lot from it.

He has also written extensively on the topic. His doctoral thesis about the sutta (published in 2003) contains some very interesting discussions of central concepts, and there‘s a detailed practice manual (which I haven‘t read yet).

To give a bit more detail, there are three books downloadable here (and various articles):
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/resources/offerings-analayo/publications/
28) Satipaṭṭhāna, the Direct Path to Realization, Birmingham: Windhorse, 2003 (Analysis of the Pali sutta.)
25) Perspectives on Satipaṭṭhāna, Cambridge: Windhorse, 2013. (Comparisons with parallel versions.)
29) Satipaṭṭhāna Meditation: A Practice Guide, Cambridge: Windhorse, 2018

And guided meditations (probably similar to the video):
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/resources/offerings-analayo/satipatthana-audio/

I’ve found the guide, and the guided meditations, very helpful.

Hi JoeL. Personally, I prefer Sujato’s translation of “dhamme” here as “principles”.

Cittanupassana (3rd satipatthana) is about experiencing the state of the mind (citta). Where as dhammanupassana (4th satipatthana) is about understanding how sensual desire is a “hindrance”, how it arises, how it ceases; how it is eradicated.

To compare, cittanupassana says:

It’s when a mendicant knows (pajānāti) mind with greed as ‘mind with greed’ and knows (pajānāti) mind without greed as ‘mind without greed.’

Where as dhammanupassana says:

It’s when a mendicant who has sensual desire in them understands (pajānāti): ‘I have sensual desire in me.’ When they don’t have sensual desire in them, they understand: ‘I don’t have sensual desire in me.’ They understand how sensual desire arises; how, when it’s already arisen, it’s given up; and how, once it’s given up, it doesn’t arise again in the future.

The fact there is a complete understanding of Dhamma (i.e., what it is, how it arises, how it ceases, the path to its cessation) in relation to sensual desire supports the translation of Sujato that Dhamma here means “principles” rather than “mental qualities”. :sunny:

Dhammanupassana then refers to the Four Nobles Truths, etc, which are obviously not “mental qualities”.