Sato sampajāno? Was the Bodhisatta a stream-enterer?

Just look at 3rd jhana explanation and Anapanasati in MN 118. If you developed anapanasati, you will fulfill satipatthana, then fulfill the 7 awakening factors. Then the final wisdom.

When you develop anapanasati properly with all the factors (N8FP), one should be at 3rd jhana or higher all the time. But from time to time the mind can move to lower jhana etc depending upon how busy one life is.

Explanation of 3rd jhana on Sutta:

Furthermore, with the fading away of rapture, a mendicant enters and remains in the third jhana, where they meditate with equanimity, sati sampajana, personally experiencing the bliss of which the noble ones declare, ‘Equanimous and mindful, one dwell in bliss.’

Puna caparaṁ, māṇava, bhikkhu pītiyā ca virāgā upekkhako ca viharati sato sampajāno, sukhañca kāyena paṭisaṁvedeti, yaṁ taṁ ariyā ācikkhanti: ‘upekkhako satimā sukhavihārī’ti, tatiyaṁ jhānaṁ upasampajja viharati.

Why would Buddha said, noble one declare upekkhako satimā sukhavihārī’ti?

This means The sati/samadhi will be on demand at any time (24/7) to fend off the Asava. Sati and samadhi always go hand in hand once fully developed with all the factors as foundation.

Otherwise, there is no way one can have a knowledge one is a non returner or even an arahant.

So jhana is not only sit and meditate. But can be used through daily life whether one is sit, stand, walk, and other activities.

But it will be difficult for people to understand. :sweat_smile:

It is either you are in jhana or you are not in jhana. If you are not in jhana that mean you are still attached to sensual realm.

This is how i have understood, but some people may have other views. So one needs to investigate which one is the path and which one is not. Otherwise one will never arrive at the destination. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Joe. However, I already offered my reasoning as to why Anapanasati is not jhana. The 1st jhana seems to only have 5 factors of consciousness and none are the breathing. Teachers such as Ajahm Brahm say there is no consciousness of breathing in any jhana (which, for me, is logical). Also, the Anapanasati Sutta includes sati-sampajjana in every tetrad.