SC Voice – the road to v1

Aminah, can you please just apply it once more (hopefully without ruining your computer :sunglasses:) and search for wisdom, in order to complement faith? Until I find out how to make it work you’re already done three times! :pray:

1 Like

Yes, of course! Would you like the resulting list to make the selection yourself?

Added: well here you are if you want the raw list wisdom.zip (1.4 KB)

In fact, what it occurred to me to do, was to have a quick scan for themes in Bhante’s introductory texts to the nikayas, and run a searches for whatever pops up there and add the lot to the list examples list and hope that will satisfy everyone’s interest in balance, fair representation and whatever else.

1 Like

Hey, @karl_lew, I know we said to leave English mispronunciations, but that was on the basis that in all instances thus far found it didn’t have any implications on understanding. With the following one, however, I think it might be worth correcting, but will leave the final assessment to you (in view of how much work it’s likely to take):

AN3.73, 14-5/26, Raveena, “a trainee”(she seems to drop off the “r” which in these cases makes it sound like she’s saying “attainee”. Okay, this isn’t technically a word, but if someone says it I think “oh right, one who attains” :smiley: )

http://50.18.90.151/scv/index.html?r=0.6028437281683992#/?showId=false&iVoice=2&showLang=2&search=does%20immersion%20come%20first&maxResults=25&ips=3&lang=en

I’m in split minds as to whether to bother about it, but if you think it’s worth it, add it to the list, I guess, otherwise please just ignore.

3 Likes

If it leads to confusion, I’d say it should be fixed. I was certainly confused as well. Add it to a release as a bug. :white_check_mark: Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve added unfueled to the homographs—but actually I can’t imagine any instance where it could rightly be pronounced the way Amy does in AN 10.61 section 2 segment 3!! Maybe in Spanish? :thinking:

2 Likes

For eso see here: Quote or paraphrase: if this exists, that exists etc

2 Likes

Actually, that’s not a homograph. That’s a bug. Amy has a list of English words she knows about. If a word isn’t in her dictionary, she assumes it’s Pali. What you are hearing is Amy saying “unfueled” as if it were Pali.

I’ve fixed this for v0.9.2. Thank you!

2 Likes

“Fixed” in this case means you’ve added it to the list of English words?

1 Like

Yes. Here is the fix. I find these omissions myself now and then and I am sure we will see more, so keep listening! :wink:

2 Likes

Cool to see how these things work! Thanks! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Alrighty then, here’s a draft list of search terms produced (more or less) by the above described means. It has 146 items and I don’t have a clear idea of whether that is good, or if it would be better to be trimmed. If either of you would like to review / cut it down before adding it to the github list please do: scv-examples list draft.zip (1.7 KB)

2 Likes

As I read the list, it occurred to me that it’s hard to know what to add.

For example, I was just now struggling with “this is not mine…”, which returns 53 suttas. It’s quite the catch phrase but I was unhappy with 53 results. So I explored “right understanding”, “truly seen” and several others. Eventually I decided on just adding one phrase: “any kind of form”.

What I liked about this phrase is that is a bit mysterious and it also hits three important points with 25 results:

• this is not mine…
  • this is called aggregate of form
  • For what substance could there be in form? (this is Emptiness!)

From this exercise, I am starting to realize that perhaps we should choose a fixed number of search examples (100?). We should also continually hone them, discarding searches that are simply definitional and adding searches that cause the most surprise and/or insight. Taking this self-limiting approach would inspire us to be more aware of quality and less concerned with quantity.

I guess it is slowly becoming apparent to me just how powerful a teaching tool these example searches are. Simply deciding what a good search term should be has taught me to look at the suttas in novel ways. I also have come to realize that each of our individual perspectives has brought a collective wealth of search terms.

At this point I’ll stop rambling and see what happens.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s how I instinctively feel, but I’m still not 100% sure why. Anyway, agreed.

That’s cheating! I was limiting myself to 10 (well I think once I went to 11)!

Definitely something to think about, but I think we have to recognise that there’s a large subjective element to this. Just with in my one isolated case there’s a real amount of variability in terms of meeting the ‘right thing at the right time’ (it’s one of the reasons I’m a fan of the whimsical element). In turn, I’m a bit suspicious of the ‘quality’ ambition; but as I say agree with the the quantity point (just as a fun aside, the reason why the list is as long as it is for a rough commitment to that proportionality detail).

Nice! I think I arrived at a similar point although for myself framed it differently, I found it a powerful learning, or exploration, tool.

Absolutely agreed! :heart_eyes:

With respect to getting to our list of 100, what I might prose is that if you lump all the terms we’ve thus far accumulated, plus any others you’ve thought of into one than make some subtractions as you see fit, and forward your compilation on to Ang. Sabbamitta to make the final (at least for now) 100 (mixing in any more of own in the process - eg. from the wisdom list)…? Sound reasonable? Got a better idea?

1 Like

I’ll go through both lists; didn’t find the time yet.

The same principle I applied for the “pool with blue water lilies”; there are red and white lotuses as well, and the simile has still more to say; but all that comes just along for free with the blue lilies. :lotus:

I agree that this is a very good principle; however people are very different, and so is their approach to the Dhamma. I wouldn’t favour one principle and discard everything else, but rather allow a broader spectrum.

This is also the Buddha’s attitude: Sure, he did teach all these subtle and sophisticated aspects of the Dhamma, but he also explained to people how to look after their family, or how to lose weight (see moderation in eating—7 results).

Sometimes the surprise can also lie in something apparently quite silly at first sight, like “oh my goodness” (returns 4 results). In all instances the one who utters this outcry is a Brahma, a being who normally is supposed to abide in the pure equanimity of the Jhanas. And what is shaking him out of his heavenly equanimity? The realisation that the Buddha tends to NOT teaching the Dhamma! This simply emphasises what a huge difference it makes to the world whether or not there is a Buddha who actually teaches!! :dharmawheel:

(I’ve been hesitating and haven’t yet added it to the list, thinking it might be a bit silly; but maybe it isn’t.)

They are! And not for the least part for those who develop them! :bodhileaf:

Actually, since I started working with the two of you on SC-Voice I’ve learnt a lot of new stuff about the suttas, but also about my own mind which is probably even more important. :anjal:

I’m not sure what would be the best number; so let’s go for 100 and then see how we feel about it.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely no hurry! Also, it was just a suggestion. Like, Karl I was attracted to the mix of different perspectives. You’re very welcome to turn down the nomination though. :grin:

I emphatically agree with no remainder!

Well, for what little it is worth, I’d like to take the opportunity to reaffirm my hearty endorsement of the silly!

Exactly.

Sadhu! It’s been a very special gift for me, too. :anjal:

Fabulous plan!

1 Like

Hullo folks, I sometimes find that the pause and close the player window can be a bit glitchy; either that it just continues playing or restarts playing, but doesn’t stop. Does anyone else encounter this behaviour?

1 Like

Oddly, I tend to pause Amy only when she is not talking, so you’ll need to provide specific intructions to reproduce glitches.

My list is the one we see on Github. I’ve only been adding what I feel should belong and I have sometimes removed examples. This leads to the rather amusing outcome that you both will need to sort it out together since I am fine with what is and whatever you add. For removals, we should consult each other.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s actually a difficult one to reproduce which is why I asked in the general before adding to the bug list. There are no specific steps, it’s just on some suttas on some occasions pressing pause does not pause and closing the player does not stop play. Playing the same sutta under the same conditions doesn’t replicate the behaviour, but for what it’s worth I most typically use Raveena, English only.

Righto. I’d wanted to checkin with others before dumping 146 new entries, but to make things more straightforward for Ang. Sabbamitta I’ve just added them all to the GitHub list and will leave it her and/or the devas to reduce it down to 100 by whatever means they see fit. :slight_smile:

https://github.com/sc-voice/sc-voice/blob/master/words/examples/examples-en.txt

2 Likes

Yes, I also see this behaviour sometimes, mostly using Amy together with Aditi. But actually, I don’t try to pause playing very often, mostly when re-listening suttas where I have found oddities and want to locate them.

2 Likes

Aminah, I’ll be very happy to have a look at the extended list, as well as at the wisdom list; but at the moment I’ve been a bit short of time, and probably still will for the next couple of days. :grin:

2 Likes