Search questions, etc

Hello,

Two questions that were likely addressed elsewhere but I could not find answers to:

Is there a way to bookmark a specific discussion thread so it can be read at a later time?

Is there a way to search the Canon for key words/topics?

My apologies if these have already been answered. Many thanks.

With metta,
Vic

1 Like

Iā€™m on a phone at the moment. If I look at any post I can see a heart symbol that I can use to ā€˜likeā€™ the post. Next to that heart, thereā€™s a ā€˜linkā€™ symbol that I can use for sharing the post and then there are three dots. If I press the three dots it expands to show a ā€˜flagā€™ (if I want to flag the post to the moderators) and a bookmark symbol for bookmarking. Clicking that bookmark icon brings up a dialogue box.

Yes, thereā€™s a search button on the main site. But Iā€™ll just give a shout out to @karl_lew - the search king :wink:

7 Likes

If you are interested in keywords, a good place could be EBT-Site. This site has been developed on the basis of Voice.suttacentral.net, but has even more emphasis on keywords. The site is still under development and hasnā€™t been officially presented yet, but has perhaps grown to quite a good functionality.

Here you can find an overview on how to use the search function on EBT-Site.

8 Likes

@Vic in addition to what Anagarika Sabbamitta mentions, we also have a super command line tool for Linux folks. That tool is scv-bilara.

The scv-bilara search engine does more than both Voice and EBT-Site, but it requires a Linux command line. Voice and EBT-Site both use scv-bilara for arbitrary keyword and phrase searches. Over time, however, we hope to build up the key phrase dictionary that informs both Voice and EBT-Sites so that all can benefit from these ā€œDhamma gemsā€. In fact, if you want to help us find key phrases, please feel free to nominate your favorite phrase if it isnā€™t already in EBT-Site or Voice.

However, for an academically thorough search, I would rely on SuttaCentralā€™s very own tremendous search capability. The Voice, EBT-Site and scv-bilara applications are only informed by segmented translations and are not academically complete.

6 Likes

Ahhh I was wondering where all the ā€˜phrasesā€™ were going :smiley:

It looks great, and thanks for adding the link to the overview.

It might be worthwhile to have a thread dedicated to this on its own, so that it can be a handy resource and reference place with regard to these sites.

Beautiful work, thank you Sabbamitta and Karl :pray: :pray: :pray:

5 Likes

It looks like we canā€™t endlessly postpone the official presentation of EBT-Site ā€¦ What do you think, @karl_lew? :thinking:

5 Likes

:laughing:

I think you are doing a great job of promoting EBT-Sites!

4 Likes

Thank you @sabbamitta. I will play around with itā€“thereā€™s bound to be a learning curve. What a terrific resource this website is! Thank you all.

3 Likes

@stuā€“wish there was a way to designate 2 solutions. It seems there isnā€™t. Thank you.

3 Likes

ā€¦ and I love it! :heart:

We discuss the addition of new search phrases in this thread.

In the Wiki section of EBT-Site there are a few instructions on how to use it for Sutta study. I hope they are helpful.

2 Likes