Secular Buddhists represents scientism

There’s one that has direct relevance to the claims made by the Buddha, unless you find merit in believing in UFO, I don’t see you would spend time and energy to investigate those. If you find merit in Buddhism, and don’t wish to simply be arrogantly stuck in scientism but humbly wishes to really find out if Buddha was right about rebirth, then investigating rebirth evidence is useful.

Or else it’s the same attitude as the Catholic church holding onto old theological ideas of Earth as the centre of the universe, rejecting raw data. Secular Buddhism is not Buddhism, it’s a corruption of the Dhamma. It’s good for students of the Buddha to investigate. That can include investigating rebirth, especially for those who doubt it.

If either of you had read at least a few rebirth cases at all, you’ll see that it’s basically impossible to dismiss them as delusions, dreams or coincidence by the kids to have stories that are verified by real-world findings. Some of the real-world data is so hard to find, but predicted by the kids accurately.

might be worth asking if Sangha is one of the sources you would trust. As well as peer-reviewed published academic papers by authors linked in the OP above. Why is rebirth not commonly held self-evident truth? Might be good to see your own attitude. Eternalism and annihilation views dominate the earth. Eternalism for half of the earth is Abhramic faith. Annhilation for the materialist, scientism people dominating the academia, not just science academia, most academia.

It’s good not to be too obsessed with investigating rebirth too, as you said, there’s a danger of attaching, a stronger ego. What you just said above are all just ultimate truth level strategies for liberation.

If Buddhists only speak at the ultimate truth level, there can be more confusion for the beginners. Just see how Zen masters talk.

Just one question: do you acknowledge that rebirth happens for unenlightened people? That there’s a future life for one who has not yet attained to arahanthood.

If not, then you’re secular, you have wrong views, and you’re misusing the ultimate truth to deny core doctrines of the Dhamma.

If you do acknowledge rebirth, then there’s no disagreement between us.

Please don’t use another round of ultimate speak to confuse the discussion. Buddha was able to speak in different levels as suiting the audience. Ultimate speak is not helpful here. A simple yes, I believe in rebirth, or no I don’t is sufficient.

As for textual analysis, I think it’s been discussed here that it’s basically impossible for rebirth to be a later doctrine. Read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/du0vdv/why_secular_buddhism_is_not_a_full_schoolsect_of/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Also worth to read this: Evolution of Buddhism - Essays - Discuss & Discover (suttacentral.net)

1 Like