Sequencial Steps of Meditation Sutta or Commentary

Looking for the steps of meditation one takes to reach Jhana or Enlightenment. I understand that there is not necessarily one sequence that has to occur in a certain order, but I am looking for that order that has been described in the Sutta/EBT.

Hi savaka.umaro,

You might look at the gradual/graduated training suttas, including:
MN27 SuttaCentral
MN39 SuttaCentral
DN2 SuttaCentral

Also the suttas from Chapters VI-IX of In the Buddha’s Words, by Bhikkhu Bodhi. See: In the Buddha’s Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon Linked to SuttaCentral.net – Reading Faithfully
In some of the suttas it is noted that different students progress in different orders. See, for example: AN4.170 SuttaCentral

3 Likes

The Buddha describes the understanding of freedom as “untangling a tangle,” so it is not a linear process but a series of knotty problems. At the very beginning these are fathoming how jhana is not enlightenment, and there are two parallel procedures, tranquillity and insight. These are means to achievement, or practice. The best guide to sequential steps is in the problems to be overcome, or outcomes of the ten fetters. How to sever the fetters is described in MN 2.

From the point of view of practice, the Buddha gave a list of the seven factors of awakening, broad components which must be developed to progress. These are divided into the insight group and the tranquillity group , with mindfulness as the governing factor. That is the most concise direction. How these are acquired is described in SN 46.51.

1 Like

Middle Discourses 118 Mindfulness of Breathing

It took some time, but I found it. My description wasn’t the best my apologies.Thank you for the assistance and pointing me in a good direction.

1 Like

Yes and Satipatthana is the direct path, which is Part B of the Anapanasati sutta.

1 Like