Shocker! It turns out the Buddha was right after all

This may come as a tremendous surprise to you all, but a recent study has confirmed a key aspect of early Buddhist meditation. Whereas it is fairly common today to teach a one-size-fits-all approach to meditation, the EBTs teach many different forms of meditation, and each one is said to address a different area of mental or spiritual development. A recent study investigates the effects of different kinds of meditation and confirms that they do develop the mind—or at least the brain—in different ways.

I’m not quite sure which is more remarkable, the detail and extent to which science has confirmed how the Buddha described meditation, or the fact that I am now about to put a link to Forbes for an article on it!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2017/10/05/different-types-of-meditation-change-the-brain-in-different-ways-study-finds

4 Likes

Bhante, sorry but maybe I am a little bit too slow, but what is the point of the link to Forbes’ article on state corporate taxes adapting to digital economy? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s an exercise in discernment and equanimity.

2 Likes

Oops, Forbes changes the article and the URL when you scroll down, i didn’t notice it! Fixed now.

1 Like

In line with the topic’s title, I would highlight:

“One of the major findings in this study is that there is a dramatic difference in brain activity in the amygdala and hippocampus during inhalation compared with exhalation,” said lead author Christina Zelano, assistant professor of neurology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “When you breathe in, we discovered you are stimulating neurons in the olfactory cortex, amygdala and hippocampus, all across the limbic system.”
(…)
Another potential insight of the research is on the basic mechanisms of meditation or focused breathing. “When you inhale, you are in a sense synchronizing brain oscillations across the limbic network,” Zelano noted.
https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2016/12/rhythm-of-breathing-affects-memory-and-fear/4

2 Likes

Shocker! It turns out contemplative practice has a biological foundation after all.

:speak_no_evil:

Yes, if I reported someone saying it makes them calmer, it is ‘just anecdotal’.

with metta

Here is the related press release from the Max Planck Society: