Similarities of Buddhism

Dear Sutta Central,

I hope you are all doing well and are happy.

I was just wondering what the biggest differences of Theravada and Tibetan Buddhism are?

I have been studying Tibetan Buddhism with Lama Jigme Rinpoche from the Padma Rigdzin Ling Buddhist Temple for some time now but I was wondering how different is Theravada?

Here is the person I am studying with:

Thank you so much
Sonam Tashi

1 Like

Some thoughts about this:

-Theravada does not accept bardo. After death there is an immediate rebirth

-Theravada does not really have the concept of bodhicitta, the altruistic motivation to attain enlightment for the wellbeing of others, knowing those qualities will be for the good of all being, including the world. Its motivation is more connected to end ones own suffering .

-theravada highest goal is the fruit of the arahant. In tibetan buddhism it is buddhahood

Probably there is a lot to say about it, maybe i am mistaken but i have heard it like this. Probably there are many shades of grey.

1 Like

The differences are superficial.

4NT/8FP/CAUSATION/EMPTINESS ETC are consistent.

Hi Compassion, Sonam Tashi,

Welcome to the D&D forum! We hope you enjoy the various resources, FAQs, and previous threads. You can use the search function for topics and keywords you are interested in. Forum guidelines are here: Forum Guidelines. May some of these resources be of assistance along the path.

If you have any questions or need further clarification regarding anything, feel free to contact the moderators by including @moderators in your post or a PM.

Regards,
Danny (on behalf of the moderators)

1 Like