Simile of Bath Powder & Losing Sense of Body

By verbal processes, you mean vacīsaṅkhāra? I wonder if the English might be misleading, and whether the Pāli does not mean actual verbal processes, but rather processes which precede speech. The mind may require a certain kind of directioning as a prerequisite to forming speech, but that may not necessarily be conceptual in nature. For example, if someone jumps out at you, you may suddenly let out an expletive. It seems like it happens instantaneously, but of course there are some subtle processes of the mind which happen in sequence leading to that verbal expression. However, that’s not an internal ‘verbal thought’ process, like having conceptual thoughts.

So I wonder if the English ‘verbal processes’ might be misleading by translating the etymology of the Pāli too strictly. And that vacīsaṅkhāra may be or include process which is non-conceptual, regarding the directing and holding of the mind, which can precede speech generation, but can also be used without generating any concepts at all, such as in jhāna. I gave some reasoning for that in another thread I made… my reasoning starts here if you’re interested:

2 Likes