Singular wisdom

The experience of repetition is well known to all studying the suttas. Indeed, that very repitition reinforces our understanding and also provides a constant cross-check against errors of transcription, transmission or understanding. However, the suttas do also have gems of singular wisdom that are stated but never repeated. The purpose of this discussion is to gather instances of singular wisdom for those interested in exploring that certain…neutral feeling.

To start the discussion, we notice that DN33 mentions “dibbo vihāro” or “meditation of the gods”. A search on Sutta Central for the pali term dibbo vihāro reveals 1 result. That result is DN33.

For further context, Bhante Sujato has translated vihāro as “meditation”, and the dictionary offers the more general “an abode; a dwelling place; mode of life, passing the time”. The full quote is:

Three meditative abidings:
the meditation of the gods, the meditation of Brahmā, and the meditation of the noble ones.

My mind continually catches on this when listening to DN33 and I have come to relate to it as a simple statement that Buddhism is not poly-theistic, nor is it mono-theistic, nor is its practice prayer. Furthermore, since this is a singular bit of wisdom, there is actually no way that I can see to validate or invalidate an understanding of this part of the teaching. It stands alone.

Given this one example of singular wisdom, I’m sure there are others to be shared.

3 Likes

The question for me is, what is meant here—“meditation of the gods”, is that a human meditating on a heavenly realm, or heavenly qualities, or is it a god meditating? The same for the other two.

1 Like

I wonder if this has any connections with pre-buddhist types of meditation.
dibbo

1 Like

Many thanks for the thoughtful replies on “meditation of the gods”. :pray:

Here is another gem of singular wisdom:

All beings are sustained by conditions –dn33/en/sujato

The term saṅkhāraṭṭhitikā appears exactly once in SuttaCentral search. Hearing this phrase or its translation repeatedly brings a sense of pithy urgency to practice. One senses impermanence and feels unease.

1 Like