Sister Uppalavanna

Thanks for that info, Ayya. I don’t know much about her, so this is all new for me.

What I do know, based on my recollection of a conversation with Ven Mettavihari, is this. When he was setting up metta.lk, he knew of her translations and asked if he could put them on his site; this was in the late 90s, I think. She was reluctant, as she said the texts were not good enough to publish, being done purely for her own study and practice, as a way of learning the Suttas. He persuaded her, saying that at least we should have some version of the Suttas in English online.

Her reluctance was no false modesty, as the translations as obviously not of publication quality. Still, for a long time they were the only fairly complete translation of the Suttas in English available online, and hence have been picked up from metta.lk and mirrored on various other sites. Thus, through Ven Mettavihari’s site she, as a lone, iconoclastic, unsupported nun, was able to achieve what all the big monasteries, nikayas, and universities have not: make the Suttas available all over the world in English.

More recently, the PTS translations have been released under CC licence by the PTS, and digitized and made available by our friends over at obo.genaud.net. That’s where I read the older translations these days. They have Sister Uppalavanna’s texts, too. However I don’t think there is much reason to continue to publish them, as I suspect that is not what she would want.

As for credit, I am not sure that we even have any of her translations on the site; we just link to them. Nevertheless, it would be good to add something acknowledging her role in making the suttas available. Let me see to that.

3 Likes