kolita-suttaṃ n (SN 21.1)
SN 21.1 kolita (Moggallana’s layperson name)-discourse
(thanissaro trans.)
♦ 235. evaṃ me sutaṃ —
I have heard that
ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati
on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Sāvatthī
jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme.
at Jeta's Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika's monastery.
tatra kho āyasmā mahāmoggallāno bhikkhū āmantesi —
There Ven. Mahā Moggallāna addressed the monks,
“āvuso bhikkhave”ti.
Friend monks!
“āvuso”ti kho te bhikkhū āyasmato mahāmoggallānassa paccassosuṃ.
"Yes, friend," the monks responded to him.

(V&V could not be visual nimitta here, clearly thinking and evaluation)

♦ āyasmā mahāmoggallāno etadavoca —
Ven. Mahā Moggallāna said,
“idha mayhaṃ, āvuso, rahogatassa paṭisallīnassa
"Friends, once as I was withdrawn in seclusion,
evaṃ cetaso parivitakko udapādi —
this train of thought arose to my awareness,
‘ariyo tuṇhībhāvo, ariyo tuṇhībhāvoti vuccati.
'"Noble silence, noble silence," it is said.
katamo nu kho ariyo tuṇhībhāvo’ti?
But what is noble silence?'
tassa mayhaṃ āvuso, etadahosi —
Then the thought occurred to me,

(STED second jhāna = noble silence)

‘idha bhikkhu vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā
'There is the case where a monk, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations,
ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ
[1] enters & remains in the second jhāna:
cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ
rapture & pleasure born of concentration,
avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ
unification of awareness
samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ
free from directed thought & evaluation —
dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati.
internal assurance.
ayaṃ vuccati ariyo tuṇhībhāvo’ti.
This is called noble silence.'
so khvāhaṃ, āvuso, vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā
So, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations,
ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ
I entered & remained in the second jhāna:
cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ
avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ
unification of awareness
samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ
dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja vihariṃ.
internal assurance.

(V&V bubbling underneath making 2nd jhāna imperfect)

tassa mayhaṃ, āvuso, iminā vihārena viharato
While I remained in that [mental] dwelling,
vitakkasahagatā saññā manasikārā samudācaranti”.
I was assailed by perceptions & [acts of] attention connected with directed thought.
♦ “atha kho maṃ, āvuso, bhagavā iddhiyā upasaṅkamitvā etadavoca —
"Then the Blessed One, coming to me through his [psychic] power, said,
‘moggallāna, moggallāna,
'Moggallāna. Moggallāna.
mā, brāhmaṇa, ariyaṃ tuṇhībhāvaṃ pamādo,
Brahman, don't be heedless of noble silence.
ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ saṇṭhapehi,
Establish your mind in noble silence.
ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ ekodibhāvaṃ karohi,
Make your mind unified in noble silence.
ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ samādahā’ti.
Concentrate your mind in noble silence.'
so khvāhaṃ, āvuso, aparena samayena
So at a later time,
vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā
with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations,
ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ
I entered & remained in the second jhāna:
cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ
avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ
unification of awareness
samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ
dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharāmi.
internal assurance.
yañhi taṃ, āvuso, sammā vadamāno vadeyya —
"When one, speaking rightly, would say of someone,
‘satthārā anuggahito sāvako mahābhiññataṃ patto’ti,
'A disciple attained to greatness of direct knowledge through the assistance of the Teacher,'
mamaṃ taṃ sammā vadamāno vadeyya —
it's of me that one speaking rightly would say,
‘satthārā anuggahito sāvako mahābhiññataṃ patto’”ti.
'A disciple attained to greatness of direct knowledge through the assistance of the Teacher.'"
paṭhamaṃ.
(end of sutta)

Notes

According to MN 44, directed thought and evaluation constitute verbal fabrication, which is why the second jhāna — the level of concentration in which these fabrications are stilled — is called noble silence.

B.Sujato trans. SN 21.1 Kolitasutta

1. Kolitasutta
1. With Kolita
Evaṃ me sutaṃ— ekaṃ samayaṃ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme. Tatra kho āyasmā mahāmoggallāno bhikkhū āmantesi: “āvuso bhikkhave”ti. “Āvuso”ti kho te bhikkhū āyasmato mahāmoggallānassa paccassosuṃ.
So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. There Venerable Mahāmoggallāna addressed the mendicants: “Reverends, mendicants!” “Reverend,” they replied.
Āyasmā mahāmoggallāno etadavoca: “idha mayhaṃ, āvuso, rahogatassa paṭisallīnassa evaṃ cetaso parivitakko udapādi: ‘ariyo tuṇhībhāvo, ariyo tuṇhībhāvoti vuccati. Katamo nu kho ariyo tuṇhībhāvo’ti? Tassa mayhaṃ āvuso, etadahosi: ‘idha bhikkhu vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati. Ayaṃ vuccati ariyo tuṇhībhāvo’ti. So khvāhaṃ, āvuso, vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja vihariṃ. Tassa mayhaṃ, āvuso, iminā vihārena viharato vitakkasahagatā saññā manasikārā samudācaranti.
Venerable Mahāmoggallāna said this: “Just now, reverends, as I was in private retreat this thought came to mind: ‘They speak of this thing called “noble silence”. What then is this noble silence?’ It occurred to me: ‘As the placing of the mind and keeping it connected are stilled, a mendicant enters and remains in the second absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of immersion, with internal clarity and confidence, and unified mind, without placing the mind and keeping it connected. This is called noble silence.’ And so, as the placing of the mind and keeping it connected were stilled, I was entering and remaining in the second absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of immersion, with internal clarity and confidence, and unified mind, without placing the mind and keeping it connected. While I was in that meditation, perceptions and attentions accompanied by placing the mind beset me.
Atha kho maṃ, āvuso, bhagavā iddhiyā upasaṅkamitvā etadavoca: ‘moggallāna moggallāna, mā, brāhmaṇa, ariyaṃ tuṇhībhāvaṃ pamādo, ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ saṇṭhapehi, ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ ekodibhāvaṃ karohi, ariye tuṇhībhāve cittaṃ samādahā’ti. So khvāhaṃ, āvuso, aparena samayena vitakkavicārānaṃ vūpasamā ajjhattaṃ sampasādanaṃ cetaso ekodibhāvaṃ avitakkaṃ avicāraṃ samādhijaṃ pītisukhaṃ dutiyaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharāmi. Yañhi taṃ, āvuso, sammā vadamāno vadeyya: ‘satthārā anuggahito sāvako mahābhiññataṃ patto’ti, mamaṃ taṃ sammā vadamāno vadeyya: ‘satthārā anuggahito sāvako mahābhiññataṃ patto’”ti.
Then the Buddha came up to me with his psychic power and said: ‘Moggallāna, Moggallāna! Don’t neglect noble silence, brahmin! Settle your mind in noble silence; unify your mind and bring it to immersion in noble silence.’ And so, after some time, as the placing of the mind and keeping it connected were stilled, I entered and remained in the second absorption … So if anyone should be rightly called a disciple who attained to great direct knowledge with help from the Teacher, it’s me.”
2 Likes