SN 24.2: can a phrase 'when this happens... that happens' be used for a full-fledged modus ponens?

Okay, so I have started fishing a little and just stumbled again on a sutta which I believe I have quoted earlier, but I guess it bears repeating:

SN 22.89
pañcime, āvuso, upādānakkhandhā vuttā bhagavatā, seyyathidaṃ — rūpupādānakkhandho … pe … viññāṇupādānakkhandho. imesu khvāhaṃ, āvuso, pañcasu upādānakkhandhesu na kiñci attaṃ vā attaniyaṃ vā samanupassāmi, na camhi arahaṃ khīṇāsavo; api ca me, āvuso, pañcasu upādānakkhandhesu ‘asmī’ti adhigataṃ, ‘ayamahamasmī’ti na ca samanupassāmī”ti.

“These five aggregates subject to clinging have been spoken of by the Blessed One; that is, the form aggregate subject to clinging … the consciousness aggregate subject to clinging. I do not regard anything among these five aggregates subject to clinging as self or as belonging to self, yet I am not an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed. Friends, the notion ‘I am’ has not yet vanished in me in relation to these five aggregates subject to clinging, but I do not regard anything among them as ‘This I am.’”

So, what is the most likely here:

• That someone might not ‘appropriate’ any of the 5 Ag while at the same time “the notion ‘I am’ has not yet vanished in [him] in relation to these five aggregates”?

Or

• That someone in whom the notion ‘I am’ has not yet vanished in relation to the five aggregates still does ‘appropriate’ the 5 Ag?

Now compare SN 22.109

“Pañcime, bhikkhave, upādā­nak­khan­dhā. Katame pañca? Seyyathidaṃ—rūpupā­dā­nak­khan­dho … pe … viñ­ñāṇupā­dā­nak­khan­dho. Yato kho, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako imesaṃ pañcannaṃ upādā­nak­khan­dhā­naṃ samudayañca atthaṅgamañca assādañca ādīnavañca nissaraṇañca yathābhūtaṃ pajānāti. Ayaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, ariyasāvako sotāpanno avini­pāta­dhammo niyato sam­bodhi­parā­yano”ti.

With SN 22.110

“Pañcime, bhikkhave, upādā­nak­khan­dhā. Katame pañca? Seyyathidaṃ—rūpupā­dā­nak­khan­dho … pe … viñ­ñāṇupā­dā­nak­khan­dho. Yato kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhu imesaṃ pañcannaṃ upādā­nak­khan­dhā­naṃ samudayañca atthaṅgamañca assādañca ādīnavañca nissaraṇañca yathābhūtaṃ viditvā anupādāvimutto hoti. Ayaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, bhikkhu arahaṃ khīṇāsavo vusitavā katakaraṇīyo ohitabhāro anup­patta­sadat­tho parik­khī­ṇa­bhavasaṃ­yojano samma­dañ­ñā­vimutto”ti.

The difference between sotapanna and arahant is that a sotapanna understands those things as they really are, whereas an arahant, having known them as they really are, is liberated by non-‘appropriation’ (nonclinging, anupādāvimutto hoti).

Now, if the sotapanna already does not cling to/appropriate anything, why would he need to get liberated ‘by nonclinging’?