Solitary Anagarika?

I just thought I’d give a little update in this topic of Solitary practice. Since writing in this topic I’ve made substantial moves to increase solitude, and have 95% let go of the householders life. Since my previous post here, I gave away/threw out and packed up my house closing it down. I Have a small van and a tent, and took just enough stuff to sustain a simple life. And drove away, with no need to return :slight_smile:

(this gave me some insight into just what an amazing act complete renunciation is - the experience in giving away everything as a monastic - even though I have retained ownership of my property, so I can go back…)

While I had all the solitude I wanted for practice, I’ve just felt increasingly burdened by being responsible for even small decisions regarding the house and farm, and even the modest entanglements with local affairs etc. So to this end I thought I’d try an experiment - and just walk away.

It has been 3 weeks so far as I travel further from civilisation and into a more remote region in Western Australia. My intention is to find a remote and secluded place in the outback and just be.

It is proving to be a really interesting and worthwhile journey so far, from a practice perspective. In particular self view/identity has come into stark focus … all the myriad of ‘things’ that defined oneself. Possessions being clearly identified as what is necessary and what is desired. Additionally the dropping away of entanglements has been wonderfully freeing…

Also with no time frames of any kind, it is so much simpler to just be. This was my primary aim for this ‘experiment’ - to just be - no past, no future - just be.

As soon as I make a committment to be somewhere at a particular time - I find that the present moment is compromised. I’m on the outskirts of a township at the moment, and have internet, so have spent some time back at D&D :slight_smile:

I don’t know if this post, and this experiment, are of use or interest to any-one, or even belong on this forum, which is focused more on scholarship than practice. So @moderators please feel free to delete as appropriate.

Loneliness of the long distance Dhamma practitioner

20 Likes