Solitary Anagarika?

That’s a really important point, that piti isn’t something that just happens to you as a result from being in jhana, you have to train yourself to actively turn Piti on command. One of main techniques of pīti-sambojjhanga, how it directly is linked to factor # 3 viriya-sambojjhanga (one continuously 24/7 using right effort to purify oneself). As we do that, then we should recognize and appreciate the fruit of that effort:

AN 6.20 (marana sati, death remembrance sutta):

(the default way to generate pīti, pamojja, in 7sb)

♦ “sace pana, bhikkhave, bhikkhu
{but} if, monks, (a) monk,
paccavekkhamāno evaṃ jānāti —
(on) reflecting thus realizes --
‘n-atthi me
'not-existing (in) me [are]
pāpakā akusalā dhammā ap-pahīnā,
evil un-skillful qualities un-abandoned,
ye me assu rattiṃ kālaṃ
that I might, (by) night time's [death]
karontassa antarāyāyā’ti,
(still have) active (as an) obstacle,
tena, bhikkhave, bhikkhunā
then monks, (a) monk
teneva
for that very [reason],
pīti-pāmojjena vihātabbaṃ
enraptured-(and with)-gladness (he) should-dwell,
aho-ratt-ānu-sikkhinā
day-(and)-night-(he)-trains
kusalesu dhammesu.
(in) skillful qualities.
4 Likes

Thank you @frankk for expounding on this. Very useful indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

And hence the importance of sustained virtue - so no regrets to get in the way of experiencing Piti :slight_smile:

I love the dhamma - how it all relates/inter-relates :smiley:

1 Like

So happy to hear that you are doing well :slightly_smiling_face: It sounds as though your journey was a great success! Anything we can do to increase our understanding is helpful on the path. I find that the more I expect things to be a certain way, the more it seems they never are. Impermanence at work I suppose :wink:

I was recently offered a job as a camp host in the forest of Montana and I’m living here in my van for the summer. I still have work to do, bills to pay, etc. but I am finding the peace and quiet to be helpful for my practice. Precepts also seem easier without so many distractions. Maybe I can come away with some realizations like you have had :heart:

BTW, the “grass truly is greener” here in the forest than out on the plains where I’m from. But Samsara remains.

“Wander alone
like a rhinoceros” - Khaggavisana Sutta

5 Likes

Hi @aconlan, that sounds wonderful :smiley: I’m so glad that things are working out so nicely for you. Enjoy that green grass!

:rhinoceros::two_hearts::smiley:

3 Likes