Solutionism—is it up to us to save the world, or should we just get out of the way?

My latest blockbuster video, on solutionism, the idea that tech can fix it! I take a leisurely tour of the background and philosophical implications of solutionism, and why, ironically enough, it may be the thing that prevents us from solving climate change.

8 Likes

We don’t even know whether earth is actually a planet, or is it that the sky is blue because it is the color of the dome? Do you believe NASA? I don’t trust anyone so I won’t believe it unless I see it with my own eyes. Which is a Buddhist teaching on itself, right? What if mara deceived us by saying that earth is a planet? He deceived Baka Brahma if I’m not mistaking.

Not quite. The Buddha said that all his teachings can be seen for oneself, but certainly did not say that this is the only reliable source of knowledge. See AN3.65, the Kalama Sutta

2 Likes

But do you trust yourself?

Please keep in mind that this site is not a place to discuss conspiracy theories.

7 Likes

Anumodana sadhu sadhu sadhu, Bhante, for another great climate video.

It was like when I listened to your presentation of the Keeling curve, that this left me in a nice space of stillness, seeing the way it is, and agreeing with what was reflected, that that kind of thinking that got us into the problem isn’t the right kind for getting us out of this mess.

I like a bit of revolution, so I guess it’s the Robin Hood in me maybe … :sweat_smile:
But I also think that mindlessly bringing new babies into this world, or better out of this messy world, isn’t the wisest one can do now. So, take from the rich and give to the poor, yes, but also don’t allow for more than one child for each family.

1 Like

No. The Buddha taught a reasonable and constructive approach to knowledge. Extreme skepticism undermines reality just as surely as extreme dogmatism. Trust in others, reasoned inference, reliance on authority: all these have their place, and are essential to living a healthy and meaningful life.

Pure distrust, as is found in conspiracy theories, and as underlies blockchain and crypto technologies, betrays an unhealthy paranoia and lack of compassionate understanding of fellow humans. Love more, trust more. :heart:

Truth is pragmatic. It is functional. It serves a purpose. The Buddha was opposed to any idea of a dogmatic or absolute truth; rather, he looked to what matters. The reality that we see in Buddhism is the truth that helps us to let go of suffering. If it does that, it’s done its job. If we end up becoming alienated and distrustful, then that’s on us: we have taken the snake by the tail. :snake:

6 Likes

I’m sorry but I don’t believe in climate change at all. It’s simply impossible. You telling me I should trust a thief? I don’t want to be rude, but I was an atheist in the past. I was even such a sci-fi dork. The very reason why I started to believe in religion is because I know something is going on in this world. An open conspiracy if you will. This is real.

PS: I don’t know how to quote

Then this teaching is not for you. Be happy, and live a life full of love and understanding. :pray:

7 Likes

This might help a bit.

2 Likes