SuttaCentral

Some Questions about dhamma

I have some questions about the dhamma where I am confused.

1.: The fourth jhana is described as adukkhamasukha/neither pleasure nor pain. But many people when describing that jhana say it is more bliss than the jhanas before, so why is bliss then not a factor of this jhana and why is it described as neutral.

2.: Many people believe Nibbana after Arahants death is simply nothing, that nothing remains there. That would mean that also there is no more bliss in Nibbana, but the buddha said it is the highest happiness, so what is true here?

I also have a question to Venerable @Brahmali Is it your view, that all experience or awareness ceases in Parinibbana? That not even something ineffable remains? Is it the same nothing that atheists mean when talking about what happens after death? Complete absence? If so, when it is considered pleasurable, does that mean that every experience is only dukkha with no happiness in the experience and “nothing” is simply tha absence of suffering and considering it pleasurable does not mean there is pleasure but simply that it is not suffering? I am very much confused and would appreciate the help.

Please answer with either EBTs or your own explanations.

Let go a little, you get a little bit of happiness. Let go a lot, you get a lot of happiness. Let go completely, complete happiness… to paraphrase Ajahn Chah.

For most of us, these things will remain theory for a long time to come. Maybe even lifetimes! For me, I accept that I only have a certain capacity to understand these profound teachings. As time goes on, hopefully I can understand more. Enjoy the ride. When we find the samsara ejector button, hopefully we can muster the courage to press it!

Recently, I remember reading about this Japanese scholar who devoted his time to being an expert in Western ballet without having ever danced in his life. What a silly thing to do!

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Apology for Posting in the Wrong Place

4th Jhana has Equanimity. That’s neutral enough. Maybe that’s what they meant with blissful. Because most are attached to that state.

Our understanding of 3rd noble truth is fundamentally lack of precision.

We focus on cessation as the essence of 3rd noble truth. But it is about specific cessation - stress, and mechanism of stress. That means Khandas and the old way to experience.

It is beneficial to keep an open mind as it is possible - Wisdom, discernment survives the cessation; Knowing survives the cessation; Clarity survives the cessation.