Speak ill toward the Triple Gem

Dear Beloved Community,

May I know the title of the sutta that mentions when someone speaks ill toward the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha, and the Blessed One advices monks do not sacred of, and explain to them 3 times. If they do not give up their wrong views, then we can keep silent.

Thank you very much for your kindness.
With Metta and Respects.

3 Likes

Hi @jien,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I wonder if you are thinking of this passage?

But suppose you think this:
Sace pana, bhikkhave, evamassa:
‘I will be troubled and the other individual will be hurt, for they’re irritable and hostile. And they hold fast to their views, refusing to let go. I cannot draw them away from the unskillful and establish them in the skillful.’
‘mayhañca kho vihesā bhavissati parassa ca puggalassa upaghāto. Paro hi puggalo kodhano upanāhī daḷhadiṭṭhī duppaṭinissaggī, na cāhaṁ sakkomi etaṁ puggalaṁ akusalā vuṭṭhāpetvā kusale patiṭṭhāpetun’ti.
Don’t underestimate the value of equanimity for such a person.
Evarūpe, bhikkhave, puggale upekkhā nātimaññitabbā.

1 Like

Hi @jien. Welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face:
There is a story in MN22 about Ariṭṭha, the ex-vulture-killer and a resultant rule in Bhikkhu Pācittiya 68 of the Vinaya that sounds similar to what you’re asking.

‘If a monk says, “As I understand the Buddha’s Teaching, the things he calls obstructive are unable to obstruct one who indulges in them,” then the monks should correct him like this: “No, Venerable, don’t misrepresent the Buddha, for it’s not good to misrepresent the Buddha. The Buddha would never say such a thing. In many discourses the Buddha has declared the obstructive things to be obstructive and how they obstruct one who indulges in them.” If that monk continues as before, the monks should press him up to three times to make him give up that view. If he then gives it up, all is well. If he does not, he commits an offense entailing confession.’”

2 Likes

I really appreciate your kindness, dear @Snowbird
We are, however, looking for the Sutta that mentions 2 Brahmins who walk behind the Buddha and the Sangha. One praises the Triple Gem, yet the other speaks ill of the Buddhasasana.

I really appreciate your kindness, dear @666tomanderson
We are, however, looking for the Sutta that mentions 2 Brahmins who walk behind the Buddha and the Sangha. One praises the Triple Gem, yet the other speaks ill of the Buddhasasana.

I really appreciate your kindness :blush::pray:

1 Like

Ah, then you are probably looking for DN1.

So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was traveling along the road between Rājagaha and Nālanda together with a large Saṅgha of around five hundred mendicants. The wanderer Suppiya was also traveling along the same road, together with his pupil, the brahmin student Brahmadatta. Meanwhile, Suppiya criticized the Buddha, the teaching, and the Saṅgha in many ways, but his pupil Brahmadatta praised them in many ways. And so both teacher and pupil followed behind the Buddha and the Saṅgha of mendicants directly contradicting each other.

4 Likes

Good morning, dear @Snowbird
I highly appreciate your time and kindness. This is the one that I meant.
We are lucky to have members like you here.
Thank you very much again, brother @Snowbird
Have a great day ahead.
With Metta and Respect,
:blush::pray:

2 Likes