Spin-Off from Bhante Sujato’s Essay: Self, no self, not-self…

Hi,

Sorry, I just can’t get to this right now, but I think ya’ll missed a critical sukta in the Rgveda - unless I didn’t see it mentioned in my skim, if so, gomen ne. And that would be the Keśin RV X. 136

“Carrying within oneself fire and poison, heaven and earth, ranging from enthusiasm and creativity to depression and agony, from the heights of spiritual bliss to the heaviness of earth-bound labor. This is true of man in general and the [Vedic] Keśin in particular, but the latter has mastered and transformed these contrary forces and is a visible embodiment of accomplished spirituality. He is said to be light and enlightenment itself. The Keśin does not live a normal life of convention. His hair and beard grow longer, he spends long periods of time in absorption, musing and meditating and therefore he is called “sage” (muni). They wear clothes made of yellow rags fluttering in the wind, or perhaps more likely, they go naked, clad only in the yellow dust of the Indian soil. But their personalities are not bound to earth, for they follow the path of the mysterious wind when the gods enter them. He is someone lost in thoughts: he is miles away.”

~ Werner, Karel (1977) “Yoga and the Ṛg Veda: An Interpretation of the Keśin Hymn,” Religious Studies 13 (3): 289–302.

Oh, and here, I think this is from J&B (roughly, who knows I may have tinkered)

The long-haired one bears fire, the long-haired one poison, the long-haired one the two world-halves.
The long-haired one (bears) the sun for all to see. The long-haired one is called this light here.
The wind-girt ascetics wear tawny rags. They follow the swooping of the wind when the gods have entered (them).

Roused up to ecstasy by our asceticism, we have mounted the winds. You mortals see only our bodies.

He flies through the mid-space, gazing down on all forms. The ascetic has been established as the comrade of every god for good action.
The horse of the wind, the comrade of Vāyu — so sped by god, the ascetic presides over both seas, the eastern and the western.
Ranging in the range of the Apsarases and the Gandharvas, of the wild birds, the long-haired one is their sweet, most exhilarating comrade, who knows their will.
Vāyu churned it for him, Kunannamā kept crushing it — when the long-haired one drank of the poison with his cup, together with Rudra.

X.136 (962) Muni [the Kesíns “Long-Haired Ones”]