Stories about transformation / the realization that there can be a stop or end

This sutta makes you realize stopping is possible, when Buddha said.

The Buddha replied: “I have already stopped, it is you who have not stopped

https://suttacentral.net/sa-2.16/en/bingenheimer

This such simple powerful words. And actually something similar my wife asked me. “When was the last time”

But if you think it good. If someone tells you about stopping or last time when you where a kid you stop immediately. Such powerful it can be if you say to yourself that any habit you have, stopping is possible. There is a last time. It help so much in our path.

But I actually want more suttas like this to share on my page on Facebook.

Is there any other sutta that brings a :bell: kind of experience similar to this story. It has to be story. Not like Buddha teaching to monks type of sutta. Please share. Thank you. :pray:t4:

1 Like

Numerous stories of transformation are found in the Commentaries. Is that what you are seeking? Do you want suttas only, or are Commentarial stories sufficient?

Here’s one from Therigatha:
Story of Isidāsī with the Commentarial background to the story summarized from Dictionary of Pāli Names

3 Likes

You can find numerous stories in the Commentary to the Dhammapada. Here are just the verses (with illustrations), and here are detailed retellings of the Commentarial stories that accompany the verses. (In print the verses & stories are together in one large text, but online I could find them only separately.)

A nice story of transformation is the background to verse Dh 25 (5th verse of Ch 2), the Commentarial story of Cūlapanthaka on p. 128.

Then of course there’s the famous story of Kisā Gotamī who lost her child. Verse Dh 114, story on p. 392.

The next verse goes with the story of the efforts of the Nun With Many Children (Bahūputtikā): verse Dh 115; accompanying story at p. 395.

(The book pdf linked above sharing the many Dhammapada Commentarial stories in English is well-named as a “Treasury”.)

3 Likes

Thanks I didn’t think about your commentary recommendation. What you shared is good. I will go threw them. Thank you. :pray:t4:

2 Likes

Wow that’s a long therigatha.

But this gave questions in my mind. How we can probably become any sexe in samsara.

because of adultery with another’s wife.

I think I have the book at home. It’s very big. I got it from Bhikkhu Training Centre at Sri Lanka library. And brought it all the way to Caribbean with many more books. Heavy. :slight_smile: sadly i never finished reading all.

2 Likes

Yes, switching genders can happen in various lifetimes. Example, from the Therigatha:

3.1 6.6. Mahāpajāpati Gotamī

6 Mahāpajāpatigotamītherīgāthā

4.1 Oh Buddha, my hero: homage to you! Buddha vīra namo tyatthu,
4.2 Supreme among all beings, sabbasattānamuttama;

4.3 who released me from suffering,
Yo maṃ dukkhā pamocesi,
4.4 and many other beings as well. aññañca bahukaṃ janaṃ.

5.1 All suffering is fully understood; Sabbadukkhaṃ pariññātaṃ,
5.2 craving—its cause—is dried up; Hetutaṇhā visositā;
5.3 the eightfold path has been developed; Bhāvito aṭṭhaṅgiko maggo,
5.4 and cessation has been realized by me. Nirodho phusito mayā.

6.1 Previously I was a mother, a son, Mātā putto pitā bhātā,
6.2 a father, a brother, and a grandmother. ayyakā ca pure ahuṃ;
6.3 Failing to grasp the true nature of things, Yathābhuccamajānantī,
6.4 I’ve transmigrated without reward. saṃsariṃhaṃ anibbisaṃ.

7.1 Since I have seen the Blessed One, Diṭṭho hi me so bhagavā,
7.2 this bag of bones is my last. antimoyaṃ samussayo;
7.3 Transmigration through births is finished, Vikkhīṇo jātisaṃsāro,
7.4 now there are no more future lives. natthi dāni punabbhavo.

8.1 I see the disciples in harmony, Āraddhavīriye pahitatte,
8.2 energetic and resolute, Niccaṃ daḷhaparakkame;
8.3 always staunchly vigorous— Samagge sāvake passe,
8.4 this is homage to the Buddhas! Esā buddhāna vandanā.

9.1 It was truly for the benefit of many Bahūnaṃ vata atthāya,
9.2 that Māyā gave birth to Gotama. Māyā janayi gotamaṃ;
9.3 He swept away the mass of suffering Byādhimaraṇatunnānaṃ,
9.4 for those stricken by sickness and death. Dukkhakkhandhaṃ byapānudī”ti.

…Mahāpajāpatigotamī therī ….

[Minor edits for clarity]

4 Likes