Stream entry and DO

What is the Satipatthana practice that allows one to know and see the DO?

(AN 10.92 shows that stream entrants see the DO)

What does “DO” mean?

Dependent origination.

2 Likes

Satipatthana practice is not done in order to see the DO. To see the DO, you need “hearing the dhamma” and “careful attention”. In the same way that there is no satipattana practice that will make a person understand how an airplane engine works. What is required is contemplation.

I don’t know of any sutta where satiptthana practice is used in order to attain stream entry. This is a modern Mahasi idea. Not to mention the fact that the Mahasi technique has nothing to do with what the historical Buddha taught in the first place. The modern “vipassana movement” may be popular in the west but it has little to do with the historical Buddha.

2 Likes

If you’ll read Satipatthana sutta carefully, you’ll find passages like:

"“Here, O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu thinks: ‘Thus is material form; thus is the arising of material form; and thus is the disappearance of material form. Thus is feeling; thus is the arising of feeling; and thus is the disappearance of feeling. Thus is perception; thus is the arising of perception; and thus is the disappearance of perception. Thus are the formations; thus is the arising of the formations; and thus is the disappearance of the formations. Thus is consciousness; thus is the arising of consciousness; and thus is the disappearance of consciousness.’”

or

“Here, O bhikkhus, when sensuality is present, a bhikkhu knows with understanding: ‘I have sensuality,’ or when sensuality is not present, he knows with understanding: ‘I have no sensuality.’ He understands how the arising of the non-arisen sensuality comes to be; he understands how the abandoning of the arisen sensuality comes to be; and he understands how the non-arising in the future of the abandoned sensuality comes to be.”

this is essentially the same investigation of Conditioned Arising (paticca-samuppada) as described in Nibbedhika sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.063.than.html

Conditioned Arising in Suttanta is not just twelve links, it encompasses much wider range of phenomena:

http://dhamma.ru/lib/paticcas.htm

For example, besides a familiar link:

“And what is the cause by which feeling comes into play? Contact is the cause by which feeling comes into play.”

in Nibbedhika sutta there’s also:

“And what is the cause by which perception comes into play? Contact is the cause by which perception comes into play.”

2 Likes

Thanks. I think that was the answer I was looking for. The stream entrant sees causal connections in the mindfulness of dhammas section of the Satipatthana, while seeing anicca, dukkha, anatta by the same process (of watching the rise and fall of the five aggregates).

The process of perception is a causal flowing:
form + sense base - consciousness - contact- feeling- craving- intention- becoming.

this can be observed as it is occuring.

It will give you the give aggregates as well as the three characteristics (tilakkhana).

metta

Mat

2 Likes