Suicide Cases in the Suttas and the "authenticity"(early/late etc) of the texts

It might even be helpful to distinguish between unskillful or unmindful suicide (where the mind of someone suffering with depression is hijacked and the person, deluded, loses all hope or desire to live on), and physician assisted suicides or physician assisted euthanasia ( eg “death with dignity”) . The latter has become permitted and statutory in a number of US states, and I have heard of these mindful procedures being permitted in European countries, as well. Death with Dignity Acts - States That Allow Assisted Death

In these cases, doctors are not recommending suicide to patients, but patients are able to make an informed decision, and the doctors advise, and may opt in or out of providing this service to an informed and consenting patient.

I’m not writing on this subject as I am an advocate of suicide, or an advocate for brushing aside the 1st Precept, by any means. In fact, this year I’m doing the The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride to raise money and awareness of men’s suicide risks and mitigation. Part of Buddhist practice, it seems to me, is what Bhante alluded to, which is that the Dhamma offers the possibility for cognitive calming and insight, and an awakening into nuanced and ethical views of modern problems and issues. It allows us to move away from dogma, or fundamentalist positions, and really open our minds to the best path of thinking on difficult issues.

I’m glad for the debate here. It’s healthy, and very thoughtful. It’s great to see our venerables (and all of us) engage, and offer differing and enlightening perspectives. This is what I love about this path, and what is so appreciated about “Discussion;” there’s a forum not only for discussion of these important issues, but a place where some learned and compassionate minds gather to open up these issues.

9 Likes