Sujato/John Kelly Pali Courses: Resources

It’s absolutely something everyone is committed to. I think HongDa and I never use it, so when it goes down we don’t notice.

If anyone notices that it stops working (after it starts working again, lol) please report it in the search bug thread.

2 Likes

I hardly ever use it too, but it would certainly be useful at times. When it’s not working, I just look through my hard copy PTS editions and find the reference there - which I used back in the dinosaur days when so much wasn’t available online! :laughing:

1 Like

I was so delighted when you pointed this out to us.

3 Likes

John, thank you :blush: I meant to check yesterday before posting this … I got into the habit of looking at Ajahn B’s for the reference and yours for the translation decomposition. Grateful for these extra efforts regarding rhe PTS references for us students.

2 Likes

Or you could write tests :person_shrugging:

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion on using SCVoice

Just to let everybody know, I’ve added three four pdfs to the OP (opening post, #1 post in this thread), a copy of Gair & Karunatillake, an excellent summary of all the grammar as it is covered in the book (by @Dana) and John’s answer key.

6 Likes

Thank you Gililian. You added the Exercise book, which I originally prepared for the Bhikkhu Bodhi’s course students, rather than the Grammar Summaries one.
:pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks. I will update shortly.

1 Like

“Complete” table for [Pāli pronoun declensions] (Pali pronoun declension - Google Sheets) I got it from the Bhavana Society long ago, but cannot locate where it comes from.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Listening to spoken Pali

Somehow I am finding it much faster and more intuitive to access the Digital Pali Dictionary through the Tipitaka Pali Reader. This app is very fast to search, includes the DPD and other dictionaries, and has the tipataka and quite a few commentary texts in pali. The managers seem to be actively improving this app, built on Bhante Yuttadhammo’s work from years ago. Tipitaka Pali Reader | American Monk: Life with Buddha, Dhamma and Saṅgha

3 Likes

Thank you Ayya. I’ll add the pronoun sheet to the class resources in the OP, and the others to the thread on chanting.

2 Likes

New Resource, A Dictionary of Pali now available in free digital format. Pasting the announcement from H-Buddhism.

A new Announcement has been posted in H-Buddhism.

RESOURCE> A Dictionary of Pāli now available online

Submitted by Rupert Gethin on 03/25/2024 - 4:45am
Announcement Type
Online Digital Resources
Date
March 25, 2024
Dear Colleagues,
The Pali Text Society is pleased to announce the availability of the first three volumes of A Dictionary of Pāli (covering a – bh) online on Gandhari.org/dop. The Dictionary is free for all to search and use.

A Dictionary of Pāli is an ongoing project of the Pali Text Society, entirely funded by the Society. The first three volumes are the work of Dr Margaret Cone and were published in hard copy in 2001, 2010, and 2020. The 4th and final volume is currently being prepared by Dr Martin Straube.

Preparing the three published volumes of the Dictionary for release online has itself been a task that has required considerable time, care, attention, and expertise. The Pali Text Society is particularly grateful to Dr Stefan Baums and Dr Andrew Glass for hosting the Dictionary on Gandhari.org. There it joins the Pali Text Society’s earlier Pali-English Dictionary as well as a collection of other dictionaries of South Asian Buddhist languages (Sanskrit, Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit, and Gāndhārī), all of which can be conveniently used side by side. The Society hopes that the scholarly community will find the online Dictionary useful.

Hard copies of the 3 published volumes (as well as other PTS publications) are available for purchase via the PTS website (https://palitextsociety.org/). Please visit the site and consider becoming a member and supporting the PTS.
With best wishes,
Rupert Gethin
President of the PTS

6 Likes

This is wonderful news! Thank you very much, Ven Sobhana.

1 Like

This post will probably only be seen by students in John’s class. Do you intend it for the whole Forum community?

It was already announced more widely here

4 Likes

…Thank you. :pray:

What is your best/favorite reference textbook on pāli grammar. I have been looking at these three, especially to understand syntax and usage. Just recently opened Duroiselle and finding it most clear & helpful (at my level):

Duroiselle, Charles. A Practical Grammar of the Pali Language. (1906) 3rd ed (1997): html version: A Practical Grammar of the Pali Language by Charles Duroiselle. pdf verion: https://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paligram.pdf

Perniola, V. Pali Grammar (PTS Oxford 1997). [There is a pdf version online but probably a bootleg against copyright]

A. Bhikkhu (2023): Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism (Second Edition) Māgadhabhāsā (Pāḷi) – A Compendious Grammar on the Language of Pāḷi Buddhism – Sāsanārakkha Buddhist Sanctuary

2 Likes

I could not see it either but if you search Pali there is a list of flashcards:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks?search=pali