Sujato/John Kelly Pali Courses: Resources

Dear Sis Beth,
Good day!

Thanks for your kindness and offering.
Yes, I have tried out Sis Karuna’s advice this morning, and it works well.

Thank you.

Mettena,
Saṅghamittā Bhikkhunī

2 Likes

The instructions Venerable Acala linked above are for iPad or iPhone.
On a mac do the following…

This is for Mac Ventura 13.5, but it’s similar for older versions

1. Download the EasyUnicode(R) keyboard and unzip the file
  2. In finder go to your ‘Go’ menu and choose ‘Go to Folder…’
  3. enter /Library/Keyboard Layouts and press return
  4. copy the unzipped EasyUnicode(R) file to this folder.
  5. open system setting, in the apple menu
  6. Scroll down to ‘keyboards’ in the sidebar
  7. find Text Input, Input Sources: and click Edit
  8. click the ‘+’
  9. in the search box enter Unicode and choose EasyUnicode(R) and click ‘Add’
  10. from the sidebar choose ‘All input sources’ and make sure ‘show input in menu bar’ is selected

when you want to use your pali keyboard then you can choose it from up next to your clock etc.

The keys are pretty intuitive, just press opt+ the letter you want a diacritic for.
The exceptions are the n’s and nasals
ṇ opt-n
ñ opt-j
ṅ opt-k
ṃ opt-m
ṁ opt-,

4 Likes

Thank you, dear Ven. Prasanna. I didn’t use Mac, but this might be helpful for Sis Beth.

Dear Beth, I’m not sure if you have tried this:

Mettena,
Saṅghamittā Bhikkhunī

1 Like

For Mac keyboard I recommend:

https://keyman.com/mac/

Keyman is developed by the Summer Institute of Linguistics, who are into making the most remote languages accessible (for Bible translators).

I notice there’s now a version for iPhone in the App Store, which I shall investigate shortly.

2 Likes

Here’s a super-helpful app that lets you not only write diacriticals with ease, but actually does all your computing, reliably and fast, without snooping and stealing data, forcing unwanted updates, catching viruses, and charging you money! True story!

Ubuntu is a free operating system that runs on the Linux kernel. Linux is far and away the most successful computing system ever made.

I’ve been using Ubuntu for 15 years. The first thing I do with any new computer is install it. It’s nice to have freedom.

4 Likes

For Pali Dictionary installation on Macs and PCs, I’m offering another zoom to people. Just email me and let me know.
Beth

5 Likes

With all these great suggestions, I hope you have discovered a way to type diacriticals on your Mac!

2 Likes

I’ve just finished setting up the ‘text replacement’ as you suggested on my Word document.

After I type and tab, I have to backspace to continue typing the word, is that correct?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Mine does not require tabbing, but it may depend on the individual settings of your OS, the software you are using, or the browser. Mostly I’ve only needed to type in Pali either here on Discourse, my email or to ChatGPT, both in Chrome.

I do not have Word, so I can’t tell you how autocorrect would behave there.

This solution is admittedly more awkward in usage than some of the excellent suggestions above that require downloading/installing something. I’m accustomed to using a lot of awkward shortcut key combinations in my design programs, so doing this wasn’t a stretch for me - but it may be distracting for most people.

1 Like

It’s useful for me, nonetheless. I don’t mind awkwardness as I had been using ‘Insert → Symbol → then choose the alphabet I want’. It takes about 7 seconds; whereas, 'u+tab takes less than 2 seconds.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Beth, I have tried to download “dpd.zip” several time, but half way it requires a password. Any advice please?

That still sounds horribly complicated. I outline a much easier way where you can touch type diacritics above :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have been uploading an Anki deck for each lesson, consisting of the vocabulary (from the deck already uploaded there by someone else) and the sentences in all the exercises.

Should you use and find any errors, please let me know.
:pray:

I haven’t been able to use the flash cards yet. I downloaded Anki and it just sits there…

1 Like

I can’t memorise vocabulary lists any longer, but I find the app great for memorising sentences.

What I mean is that I haven’t figured out how to use it! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Regarding memory, I need a good dictionary and a list of main forms of lexical items to help me go to the dictionary! So, the flash cards could come in handy when I am able to use it!

They don’t do that. They only have the word forms copied from Warder. No extra information. :zipper_mouth_face:

Thank you.

I’ll just use excel to do it myself, then :blush:

1 Like

Warder gives the answers to the exercises for Lessons 1-6 at the back of the book, p460ff.

Here are two answer keys to the later Warder exercises, from Ajahn Brahmali and from John Kelly.

Aj Brahmali’s Warder key.pdf (796.9 KB)

A. K. Warder Pali Answer Key.pdf (1.1 MB)

4 Likes