Survey: What do you expect these two icons to do?

I just added. This is, in fact, the greater issue.

Great feedback! I’m afraid you are not alone.

Thanks so much for your detailed response!!!

Search accommodates all documents on the website, so we have to have those there. Those you mention are rare on the site.

Search only looks in documents that are of the languages you tick. So if you tick nothing in the root languages, it won’t return any of them.

I have long thought that exact thing. (This is one of the reasons for the post) I think for the sake of simplifying the interface, lots of things get lumped together. For example, the parallels icon is mostly other things besides parallels.

Indeed. I agree.

BTW, the search doesn’t support regex. I’m guessing you just meant a search string.

As far as I know, we don’t support that at all. I realize you probably just tried that as an example for testing, but my feeling so far is that in practice complex searches like this will be rare. But if you can come up with a plausible use, please let me know.

@HongDa is the one who deserves the credit mostly, with Bhante Sujato’s guidance of course.

Your feedback is always welcome, especially bugs which can be reported in this thread If you are very interested you could check out the latest posts tagged with search and then click the bell icon and choose “watching”

That should send you an email when there is activity on that tag.

4 Likes