Sutta Commentary Resources

One of my favorite things is sutta commentary.

Is anyone familiar sutta commentary resources—past or present—like papers, books, audio, or perhaps translations of the original commentaries?

I know of a few:

I want to get the SuttaNipata from Wisdom Publications for its extensive commentary, and I might eventually purchase a hardcopy of the Visuddhimagga.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Hi Tony,

There are some translations of ancient commentaries to suttas on Access to Insight. If you go to:
https://accesstoinsight.org/index-title.html
and search for “commentary” you can find, for example: The Way of Mindfulness: The Satipatthana Sutta and Its Commentary
The Discourse on Right View: The Sammaditthi Sutta and its Commentary
The Five Mental Hindrances and Their Conquest: Selected Texts from the Pali Canon and the Commentaries
A Treatise on the Paramis: From the Commentary to the Cariyapitaka
Buddhist Stories from the Dhammapada Commentary: Part II

4 Likes

Off the top of my head Bodhi has a book on the Mulapariyaya and its commentaries

3 Likes

Thank you, @mikenz66 and @Javier!

1 Like

Updated link to Piya Tan’s Sutta Discovery series, one of my favorite resources. Tan also has a YouTube channel.

‘Beyond the Tipiṭaka: A Field Guide to Post-canonical Pāḷi Literature’ was originally published on Access to Insight in 2002, and updated and republished in 2016 on ancient-buddhist-texts.net. The Wiki on Atthakatha (Pali for commentary) covers similar information.

sirimangalo.org has a large collection of pdfs—including all four parts of ‘Buddhist Stories from the Dhammapada Commentary’—tucked away on their pdf page. Many of the translations are quite old.

Ven. Dhammavuddho Thero has a series of video discourses on the Nikayas on YouTube with additional resources on vbgnet.org.

In 2008, Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi gave 40 talks on the Sutta-Nipāta at Bodhi Monastery.

I recall Ven. Henepola Gunaratana giving many talks on the suttas about 10 years ago, but I can’t find where I originally heard them. Trekmentor and bhavana.us appear to have mirrors.

4 Likes