Sutta Compilation Book!

Regarding the difficulty of MN 1, perhaps it would be an idea to include SuttaCentral’s difficulty icons for the Long and Middle Discourses. These are the icons in the top-right corner of each long and middle discourse.

They were created by Alena Artemova, and released under a “CC BY 3.0 US” license: suttacentral.net/licensing

In any case, fantastic work. I hope I’ll be able to buy a copy on Lulu.

5 Likes

I believe Lulu offers this option? Maybe we can ensure that they are offered in spiral and well as perfect binding.

3 Likes

Spiral-bound books are definitely available. I just didn’t know anyone wanted them. For study and note-taking, a spiral binding with wide margins may even be best.

7 Likes

Another update. The printing glitches ought to be fixed now.

Here’s the link where you can purchase a copy at cost:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/trans-bhikkhu-sujato/the-middle-discourses-of-the-buddha-vol-i/paperback/product-23876203.html

PDFs of the cover and the interior are attached to this message for download. Those of you who would like a spiral bound version should probably start with the interior PDF, which should be compatible with lulu’s spiral binding option. I’m less sure about the cover for a spiral binding, but a little time with Photoshop or GIMP should fix any problems in that department.

23819889.pdf (1.2 MB)

23819889_cover.pdf (2.7 MB)

8 Likes

Sadhu Sadhu!

In future editions, you may want to consider removing the space between paragraphs. Usually the first line indent is enough.

Great work!

2 Likes
7 Likes

Hi Gus,

thank you so much for doing this! I love your introduction. :smiley: :anjal:

1 Like

This is lovely.

If I may make a suggestion… should this be entitled the middle-length discourses though?

With metta

Si

1 Like

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the project! I wonder is it any future plan for other nikayas ?
I live in Indonesia, I could only download the pdf version. So I keep waiting for other nikayas PDF when they’re avialable.

Kent

general info - thebookpatch.com works as well. I’ve printed loads of PDFs into books there, and you can set up the sale to make no profit yourself for sure. I look forward to adding these to my library.

1 Like

From @gustavo to @Gus this is so great!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu my friend :pray:

2 Likes

I’m dealing with some unexpected stuff at the moment, so I can’t sit down and spend much time on this project for now. I will return to it in a week or so, most likely.

In the meantime, some more replies to various matters:

1. My plan is three titled book sets: The Longer Discourses of the Buddha (complete), The Middle Discourses of the Buddha (complete), and then Selected Shorter Discourses of the Buddha, because the shorter ones in most cases seem like the most repetitive, and many repetitive discourses in a row wouldn’t fit what most people expect when they pick up a book. I didn’t see much value to the word “Length” in the title, so I dropped it.

2. The spaces between paragraphs are an artifact of the HTML, but I’ve kept them on purpose. I’d considered making the margins much smaller to allow for notes (I love writing in my books), but spaces between paragraphs also serve that function, and they’re already in place, so they’ve stayed.

3. Please do port these files elsewhere to publish. I went to Lulu because I’ve published some other projects there before, mostly reprinting out-of-print public domain books that I’d wanted in paper form.

4. If anyone produces a spiral-bound version, I’d love to hear feedback about how it went and address any potential problems in that format.

5 Likes

As an aside, In terms of MN 1, I found the BPS booklet by Bhikkhu Bodhi on this and its commentries quite useful… BP210s

2 Likes

@sipsmi Do you mean this one?

Either way it looks interesting and worthwhile.

2 Likes

The book has arrived! :heart_eyes:
Thanks a lot, can’t wait to start reading.

10 Likes

Excellent! The next volume is on its way to me now, and it should be available for buying and gifting in just a few more days, once I’ve addressed the publishing or typographic issues.

10 Likes

OMG :star_struck: If you have one spare, a copy for Santi Forest Monastery would be amazing!

9 Likes

I’ll send you both volumes in just a couple of days, and there will be more in the weeks to come.

7 Likes

The second volume is now available! It covers discourses 41-90 and again features @yodha’s artwork on the cover:

23996222_cover.pdf (2.7 MB)

And here’s the PDF of the text, which you can take and put into other formats if you like:

23996222.pdf (1.4 MB)

Volume 1 remains available, and Volume 3 is now underway. Copies have also been ordered as gifts to those to whom I’d promised; others may buy the books at cost by following the first link above.

8 Likes

And here’s the front and back of volume 2. This is the proof copy; the right hand margin of the front will be slightly more generous in the publicly available version.

12 Likes