Sutta Discussion: Fear and Terror ( not in Las Vegas ) MN 004

I would like to discuss the meaning of MN 004, using this translation.

Though the sutta ends in a description of the Buddha’s nibanna, it starts off as a question about how to live alone in the forest.

A Brahmin complains to the Buddha that many monks who go live in remote spots in the forest find it difficult. They get afraid, and other things from their lives seem to come back to them in the quietude.

I found that interesting having been through my own bouts of issues ( though on retreat I usually feel wonderful and sleep like a rock ) and having many accounts from people about how they are fine when they are busy during the week, but they get depressed or anxious on weekends.

This goes with an observation of my own that being in quiet, relaxed, with little stimulation will bring up unsorted things from your mind to be sorted out.

The Buddha responds acknowledging this happens, pointing out that monk who aren’t perfect in some aspect of the 8 fold path have their troubles from that lack of perfection come back up when they are alone in the quietude.

Not what many people would call a “real answer”, but the prescription seems to be to get your life in order, then you will have less things to fear and worry over.

Interestingly, last year I found an old copy of one of K. Sri Dhammananda’s most popular books, How to Live Without Fear and Worry.

Surprisingly little was said about fear or worry. It was a lay person’s guide to living a Buddhist life written in ordinary language.

Now, I wonder if that was the late Dhammananda’s intent. Telling people that living the 8 fold path reduces fear and worry.

Moving on, there is this very interesting paragraph in the sutta:

Then I thought: ‘There are certain nights that are recognized as specially portentous: the fourteenth, fifteenth, and eighth of the fortnight. On such nights, why don’t I stay in awe-inspiring and hair-raising shrines in parks, forests, and trees? In such lodgings, hopefully I might see that fear and terror.’ Some time later, that’s what I did. As I was staying there a deer came by, or a peacock snapped a twig, or the wind rustled the leaves. Then I thought: ‘Is this that fear and terror coming?’ Then I thought: ‘Why do I always meditate expecting that fear and terror to come? Why don’t I get rid of that fear and terror just as it comes, while remaining just as I am?’ Then that fear and terror came upon me as I was walking. I didn’t stand still or sit down or lie down until I had got rid of that fear and terror while walking. Then that fear and terror came upon me as I was standing. I didn’t walk or sit down or lie down until I had got rid of that fear and terror while standing. Then that fear and terror came upon me as I was sitting. I didn’t lie down or stand still or walk until I had got rid of that fear and terror while sitting. Then that fear and terror came upon me as I was lying down. I didn’t sit up or stand still or walk until I had got rid of that fear and terror while lying down.

This seems to approach modern psychological advice for dealing with fear and anxiety. Don’t avoid it, face it in that very moment when it happens.

Disappointingly, there is no description of how “got rid of fear and terror while…” given.

Thoughts?

2 Likes