Sutta on leaving absorption/concentration/meditation

Hello, friends! :wave:t4: I’m looking for a Sutta I read recently that has instructions (or a description) on a gradual exit of meditation/levels of concentration. It might talk about this in the context of Samādhi or Jhāna, I’m not sure. I recall it being somewhat similar to SN 47.10 in that it is more of a parallel description of concentration/absorption/mindfulness, rather than the usual formulas.

I’ve skimmed through the Satipaṭṭhānasaṁyutta and the Jhānasaṁyutta, but there’s just too many discourses. Not to mention the fact that the Sutta I’m looking for might not even be in the Saṁyutta Nikaya.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Maybe this? SuttaCentral

1 Like

To prevent misunderstanding SN 47.10 is important because in “directed” meditation it explains the implementation of the third tetrad of the Anapanasati sutta and the central pair in the third foundation of mindfulness in awareness of and intervention regarding the state of mind. Directed meditation is a preparatory stage of clearing and balancing the mind before meditation proper, nevertheless it may constitute the main form of meditation for learners:

[10] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in satisfying the mind.’ He trains himself, ‘I will breathe out satisfying the mind.’ [11] He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in steadying the mind.’ He trains himself, ‘I will breathe out steadying the mind.’ [12]—MN 118

“When the mind is constricted, he discerns that the mind is constricted. When the mind is scattered, he discerns that the mind is scattered.”—MN 10

"As he remains thus focused on the body in & of itself, a fever based on the body arises within his body, or there is sluggishness in his awareness, or his mind becomes scattered externally. He should then direct his mind to any inspiring theme. "—SN 47.10

"The two states of mind listed next for contemplation, contracted (saúkhitta) and distracted (vikkhitta), both appear to have negative implications.19 The same two terms occur elsewhere in the discourses, with inward “contraction” being the result of sloth-and-torpor, and external “distraction” the outcome of pursuing sensual pleasures.20 The commentaries on the Satipatthãna Sutta indeed relate the “contracted” state of mind to sloth-and-torpor, while according to them the “distracted” state of mind represents restlessness.21 The ability to balance the mind, by avoiding both contraction and distraction, is an important skill required for the development of deeper levels of concentration or insight. " Analayo, Satipatthana.

In SN 51.14 is pointed out the fact that a balanced mind is a particular prerequisite for jhana entry, and for the powers that accompany it, and the antidotes for the scattered mind (impermanence), and mind state low in energy (meditation on light):

‘This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly constricted nor outwardly scattered.’ He keeps perceiving what is in front & behind so that what is in front is the same as what is behind, what is behind is the same as what is in front. What is below is the same as what is above, what is above is the same as what is below. (He dwells) by night as by day, and by day as by night. By means of an awareness thus open & unhampered, he develops a brightened mind."

2 Likes