Sutta on the number of people in Hell and Heaven

I remember a sutta that says that the number of people in Hell is greater than the number of people in Heaven. Does anybody know what this sutta is?

Strange thought. I’ve always understood it that there are more people in the Spiritual World (infinite) than there are however much in the Saha World, which I don’t believe has a comparative amount to infinite individuals in. However Buddhism Teaches about grades of Heaven at the tops of the Universe, such as the Sixth Heaven, etc, which are material places in the Saha World mixed with Heavenly Properties, these places may be limited. What I’m trying to say is that there are infinite people in Nibbana and Parinibbana as opposed to this world. If one can consider the Spiritual World to be the Real Heaven containing Brahma Nirvana, then one would understand that that place has infinite beings and is an infinite place.

Maybe this one is of interest?

AN1.348-350:1.1: “Just as, mendicants, in India the delightful parks, woods, meadows, and lotus ponds are few, while the hilly terrain, inaccessible riverlands, stumps and thorns, and rugged mountains are many; so too, those who die as humans and are reborn as humans are few, while those who die as humans and are reborn in hell, or the animal realm, or the ghost realm are many.”

AN1.351-353:1.1: “… the sentient beings who die as humans and are reborn as gods are few, while those who die as humans and are reborn in hell, or the animal realm, or the ghost realm are many.”

etc., the same for “those who die as gods …”, “who die in hell …”, “who die as animals …”, “who die as ghosts …”

Which basically says: It’s not easy to get a good rebirth.

It’s not on absolute numbers in these different realms, though.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! That was exactly the sutta I was looking for.

1 Like

There’s probably Saha Worlds arising and cessating for Eternal time, from their type’s of beginning, however there is no first beginning knowable. I think in the Spiritual World there are infinite beings, I think there was a Spiritual World before the first Saha World, a Spiritual World that goes on Forever.