Sutta Parallels Codes

Greetings to All,
Could someone please point to a link where parallels’ codes are explained. I was looking at the parallels listed for DN 14 Mahāpadāna sutta and couldn’t figure out what does it mean for example DN 14:136-153 in the first column. This doesn’t correspond to the segments suttas are divided in the Bilara translation window (eg. 1.10.3 etc.), but would be nice to match, so I don’t need to translate something I’ve already translated, but is not still in the Bilara.

2 Likes

You should find it here:
https://suttacentral.net/methodology?lang=en

3 Likes

Thank you Ven. Sabbamitta.
I skimmed the text, but it is kind of general explanation what kind of parallels exist and what is the relationship between them.
As it lacks specifics, I still couldn’t find what does DN14:135-153 mean and how to identify this segment in the Bilara sutta text.

1 Like

Oh! This does in fact not coincide with the segment numbering in DN 14! I’ve never noticed this … strange!

In this case I think we have to tag Bhante @sujato.

2 Likes

Sorry about this, the codes should equate to the specific section of the text, but in some cases the segment numbers have changed for one reason or another, so the exact location may be off. Generally speaking, the parallels of whole suttas—which is the vast majority—should be fine. If a section is not pointing to the exact spot, just chack around a little it’ll be there.

This has been on the 2-do list to fix for quite some time, but we haven’t had any of our team members devoted to the parallels. If anyone is interested, let me know!

1 Like

Thank you, Bhante. I hope it will be off the to-do list at some point in time.
What I’m doing now is that if the passage sounds familiar, I search for a couple of Pali words from it in the Digital Pali Reader and locate the place in the Canon. Than I check if this is the sutta I’ve already translated. A little bit cumbersome method (and not very reliable, being based on my poor memory :slight_smile: ), but the only one for the time being.
Metta

2 Likes