SuttaCentral

Sutta search: Monk sweeps multiple times a day before arahatship (Dhp 172 origin story)

Was looking for the sutta where a monk sweeps multiple times a day around the Vihara. until instructed by a senior to meditate more, then he attains arahatship and the vihara ends up not being as clean as it was before because he spends more time meditating instead. Hopefully the details aren’t too vague :blush:

Wow. That was hard and I failed.

I only found:

But what I did also find in this search was an answer to a question I have long had about three immersions. The answer I found was this:

I thought: ‘I’ve given up my mental corruptions.Now let me develop immersion in three ways.’

I developed immersion while placing the mind and keeping it connected; without placing the mind, but just keeping it connected; without placing the mind or keeping it connected; with rapture; without rapture; with pleasure; with equanimity. When I had developed immersion in these ways,the knowledge and vision arose in me:
MN128

That’s actually more than “three ways” unless you count just the first three. The three immersions are listed in DN33 as what is italicized.

Therefore, thank you. :pray:

It’s the Dhammapada Commentary’s background story to Dhp. 172. The name of the monk in the story, Sammuñjanī Thera, is never mentioned in the Suttas.

Sammuñjanittheravatthu / The Monk with a Broom

It’s kinda funny the Dhp commentary relates the verse to broom sweeping. I think Ven. Angulimala’s background story contains the more inspiring context.

With these words, the bandit hurled his sword and weapons
Down a pit, a cliff, a chasm.
Right there, he venerated the Fortunate One’s feet,
And asked the Buddha for the going-forth.

Then the Buddha, the compassionate great sage,
The teacher of the world together with its gods,
Said to him, “Come, monk!”
Just this was enough for him to be a monk.

“Whoever was heedless before,
And afterwards is not,
Lights up the world,
Like the moon freed from a cloud.

One whose bad deed
Is blocked by skilful action,
Lights up the world,
Like the moon freed from a cloud. - Thag16.8-Aṅgulimāla

Different translators but still obviously the same two verses:

He who having been heedless is heedless no more, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.

He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.

Dhp167-178