SuttaCentral: bug reports

Yes,

There is in fact no more download page. The problem is that it redirects to a blank page.

If you need downloads, they can all be found on the editions page. The previously available IB Horner Vinaya translation is available on Archive.org.

2 Likes

Bhante Sujato’s English translation link is missing en/sujato:

https://suttacentral.net/mn9?view=normal&lang=en

The other translator links are correct.

I’m on Mac Sonoma 14.3

Where do you see this link? It is a link to a suttaplex card, and these don’t have language and translator specification. The suttaplex card gives an overview of what is available for a specific text.

The suttaplex card link is the same as Bhante’s. I.e., Bhante didn’t get a Bhante-specific link for his translation.

1 Like

I can confirm, @BethL, That the link to Bhante Sujato’s translation is indeed there on the SuttaPlex card, but when you click on it you are redirected back to the suttaplex card.

Even typing in the complete proper link to Bhante’s translation doesn’t work. Just takes you to the suttaplex card.

The bilara file is there. @HongDa ?

2 Likes

Ah! It wasn’t clear to me that you are talking of the links on the suttaplex card itself. Oh!

And even more strange: When language is set to DE on SuttaCentral, the sujato link is working just fine! But on my machine too, it isn’t working when lang=en. The URL line shows mn9/en/sujato for a very short moment, then removes en/sujato and goes back to the suttaplex card. A circle link, so to speak.

And the file is in fact in the repository as expected.

This is indeed a case for @HongDa. Thanks for discovering it, @BethL. Have you seen that anywhere else?

2 Likes

Venerable I haven’t but, that said, I haven’t been looking for it. If I were troubleshooting I’d be curious how these links were originally generated and whether any regression testing is conducted after new releases. Or whether we’re relying solely on user errors reported. Easier said than done.

2 Likes

Galaxy Tab S8
Model SM-X700
Android v14
Google App and Chrome browser

Suttas show up in a list format that does not mirror what is in production on iphone, mac ios, and pc.

Here’s the step-by-step:

1. click on pāli app icon or go to suttacentral.net (either way)
  2. land on navigation screen (renders correctly)
  3. click on Basket of Discourses link
  4. land on Suttapiṭaka screen with the list of Collections (renders correctly)
  5. click on any collection (doesn’t matter; let’s say DN)
  6. land on Digha screen (renders correctly)
  7. click on Long Discourses Collection
  8. land on Dighanikāya screen (renders correctly)
  9. click on any of them (let’s say The Great Chapter)
  10. land on Mahāvagga – does not render correctly as it looks like the attached screen shot. Versus what shows up correctly at this stage on, e.g., mac ios for comparison.

When I click on any of the horizontal sutta IDs (see sceeenshot), I go to the normal display of the pāli translation of whichever sutta is identified in the far left column of the screen shot (in this case, any of the far left references go to DN 14 ). At that point, everything is back to normal – parallel views work, e.g.

So the bug is at Step #10.

This has been happening for several months; it used to work.

I can’t understand from your description what you are doing and what is happening. Your top image is of DN and the bottom image is from Dhp.

Can you go step by step what you are doing on the tablet and then step by step on the desktop? I’m not sure what is going wrong on the tablet or how you got to the photograph of the screen. Try and describe each image as it happens.

Also, include the browser name for the tablet.

1 Like

Extremely bottom-of-pile trivial & unimportant =)

I only see this on a laptop:
Lubuntu 22.04, both Brave Version 1.63.161 and Firefox 123.0
It looks fine on a phone:
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Android 8.0.02 Brave 1.62.162

When viewing comments as tooltips, sometimes there’s a period after the tooltip asterisk:
screenshot-dba37c52
Examples of this are after segments pli-tv-bi-vb-pc34:2.1.14, mn39:14.1, pli-tv-pvr7:63.8

1 Like

Hi, @BethL Are you referring to this link?

Yes. This is what I’m referring to.

Currently, Bhante Sujato’s translation can be opened normally in Chrome and Firefox on my local computer. Does the same error occur in the privacy mode of the browser?

Thanks, HongDa. Did you review the specs I provided in my original post?

This picture shows you are in table display mode.

Is it normal to switch to card mode?

screenshot_2024-02-29_22-50-54

Ah. All I can say is it used to default to card mode (many months ago). Now I see the fix. Simple enough! Thank you :grin: :heart_eyes: :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Glad you can continue browsing the sutta you need :pray:

2 Likes

@HongDa I don’t know if you noticed the issue I created a few days ago regarding the empty Table Of Contents now appearing on suttas with no subheadings, e.g.

3 Likes

The Parallels list seems to think Thanissaro’s AN 2.5-9 is an alternate translation of AN 2.1. Sadly there’s no way in the card UI to know ahead of time I’ll be taken go 5-9.

1 Like

I think it takes it to be a translation of AN 2.1-10, or all that has been translated of that section by Venerable Thanissaro.

If from his translation of AN 2.5-9 I click the “previous” button, I am taken into the AN Ones. And in the repository I also don’t find any other translation in that section (AN 2.1-10) by Thanissaro but 5-9; although the document there is titled an2.1-10. So I take it he hasn’t translated anything else.

It seems the problem is that the title of the document doesn’t agree with the content.