SuttaCentral Voice Assistant

Playlists have been tricky to implement. ETA on multiple sutta download of a single MP3 is December. Release Notes · sc-voice/sc-voice Wiki · GitHub

That said, I’m really excited to be working on this feature since it opens up so many study possibilities!

4 Likes

Wonderful !

2 Likes

Karl, at this point, after all your extraordinary work you’ve done (and particularly having some vague sense of the extra trickiness playlists have presented) I’m loath to, well, do anything other than offer a standing ovation let alone make any feature requests. And yet… :neutral_face: … I wonder how you feel about the idea of adding a pause facility?

6 Likes

Aminah, please say more?

Downloaded MP3’s pause when I double tap my AirPods or remove them from my ears. I can also pause the iPhone by pressing Pause.

On the SuttaPlayer, simply hit the space bar–the Pause/Play icon button is the keyboard focus so pressing the spacebar toggles between Pause and Play.

If there are other use cases for Pausing that I have missed, please let us know! :pray:

4 Likes

Do you know, I even completely forgot that above I praised the pause function I accidentally found by hitting the space. :woozy_face:

It seems that somewhere within iterations this might have been lost (or else something is screwy at my end), because this doesn’t work for me any more. Also, when I commented this morning (as per the above, just doing things quickly, I totally forgot about the space and just tried to hit the play icon again (in some apps play/pause functions are assigned to the same button, sometimes with icons switching to match whatever mode is currently active), but found the only way I could make it stop was refreshing the page.

(I’m only describing desktop browser use).

2 Likes

Back again!

In connection to (the latter part of):

This stops the reading rather than skipping over. I’m guessing it’s not a very frequent issue, but just thought I’d flag it up.

1 Like

Hmm. Most perplexing. It does work for me provided that the Play/Pause icon has the light blue highlight that indicates focus. If the Play/Pause icon loses focus, then the space won’t work anymore. Do you see the light blue highlight when clicking spacebar?

Oh. And I just realized that there is another place where sound is played. In the search results you will see a speaker icon. It is actually possible to hit multiple speaker icons and you will hear a chorus of voices. The only way to stop a particular voice is to hit the speaker button for that voice or refresh the page as you did. Were you in the Sutta Player or search results?

1 Like

Aha. I just noticed that myself today. Thanks!

1 Like

Do you mean this:

?

The blue highlight here is always present no matter the state of play (:grin:), i.e. as soon as the sutta player opens. Hitting the space bar just restarts the segment.

I was using the Sutta Player.

(Tested in FF & Chrome)

Yes. That shows proper focus. It will revert to white if you TAB around.
Now I am totally perplexed. I am using Chrome as well on my Chromebook and I am listening to MN1. It toggles pause/play when I press spacebar. Perhaps this is related to a specific sutta? Copy the URL to this post and I will see if I can listen along.

1 Like

Actually it’s happened with at least two, but here’s the one I was just listening to with:

http://50.18.90.151/scv/index.html?r=0.9259091579510658#/?showId=false&iVoice=1&showLang=2&search=an9.41%2Fen%2Fsujato&maxResults=10&ips=3&lang=en

1 Like

OK. That was very helpful. I’ve been listening to Pali + Translated. You are listening to only Translated. I can reproduce the behavior now!

Thank you!

1 Like

Russell rocks. He totally totally and utterly destroyed my immersion. Since I am wicked, I shall share his quote from MN66:

Yes. That is indeed in the Pali Canon. And now we can all see Russell Crowe in full Gladiator regalia speaking this Dhamma gem.

For the curious, this came up in my search for “root of suffering.” :rofl:

4 Likes

SuttaCentral Voice v0.9.0 release at UTC 20:10 (<5m) COMPLETED

This is the “Play All” release that allows you to play your search results. For example, the search results pictured above would take over two hours to listen to with bilingual speech-to-text. You will hear Pali and English spoken for each text segment. Although these voices speak with equanimity, you will need to supply your own metta in listening or reciting. They are not a substitute for human chanting.

This release also introduces two new voices: Aditi and Russell. With Aditi, we are doing a much better job at speaking Pali than Raveena. With Russell, we now have our first male voice. Russell will be ideal for people suffering from high-frequency hearing loss.

There’s more…see the Release Notes

Up next we’ll focus on offline listening of search results. Although it is only one new button (i.e., Download MP3), it will take some time to rearrange code to make this button possible. Current ETA for v1.0.0 is early December. Until then, please let us know of bugs, new features, mispronunciations, etc.

10 Likes

Marvellous! Marvellous! Most enthusiastic applause.

Just wondering though… a couple of the v0.9.0 features/fixes don’t seem to have come through for me (I’ve tried a hard refresh and incognito mode).

• No listing for Aditi

• The “SuttaPlayer stops playing for untranslated segments” bug persists, e.g an3.61.

Additionally:

• I’m not sure if it’s deliberate or a bug, but usually when I press play I get the lovely bell ring, but then have to hit play again before the reading will begin.

• Partially related to the above, I’m a fan of ‘click-economy’. From past discussion I think I remember that you wanted to hide the majority of text content because this is helpful to visually impaired users. I do wonder, however, if implementation is trivial, whether it would be possible to have perhaps (a) a default menu expanded/collapsed setting, or (b) utilize the new “Play all” (or just “Play”) button for individual suttas too, so that e.g.

could be popped in just under the search result line and users could have a fast track to getting to what I’m guessing in most instances they’re after: to be read a sutta.

• As an aside Q simply from curiosity, I just quickly called up the above example looking for any individual sutta, but I’m guessing it’s listed, although not playable, because it does feature in the data set, however is not a segmented text?

• Lastly, I haven’t quite formulated a coherent thought about it, but I’ve been wondering about the “Prev/Next” functionality. Thinking about it I realized it’s obviously very useful with respect to longer suttas that have subsections, however, a huge number (my guess would be a substantial majority) of suttas don’t have any subsections.

In these cases suttas are still broken into two sections, am I right to think that it’s in some way a result of the technical architecture? From a listener’s PoV (well at least, my PoV) it seems more naturally to have everything that’s actually read aloud in the first section just part of the main sutta reading and thus just have something like an “Info” (not for reading aloud) & “Sutta” (or “Info” & whatever number of sutta sections with the title given in section one where relevant) drop downs. But, of course, if it’s a technical necessity (or convenience) that’s another matter.

One of the reasons I initially started thinking about the “Prev/Next” function is because at first I thought it was for skipping to the prev/next sutta which would be super neat, but I’d imagine maybe quite technically demanding. Anyway, just some rambling thoughts :smiley:

4 Likes

Aminah, you’ve become my Product Manager, just so ya know.:heart: :smiley:

• Aditi is not listed as a choice because Aditi is intended exclusively for Pali speech. Aditi is not supported for translated text. In this way I think of Aditi as the core voice that spans all bilingual listening experiences English, German, Spanish, etc. Ultimately, it would be wonderful to replace Aditi with a Pali voice having correct chanting cadence. Such is not possible today, but future generations may be able to make that happen.
  • When I clicked on your an3.61 link, the sutta stopped/started as I pressed the spacebar or clicked with the mouse. My current hypothesis is that your browser cache may be stale. If that is the case, then CRL_SHIFT_R would clear the cache and refresh the page.
  • It is possible to have a menu for expanded/collapsed setting. I will add that to v1.0.0. Having this option would permit users to use CTRL_F to search the entire sutta as displayed on the page.
  • Having a [Play Sutta] button in each result will also now be in v1.0.0
  • Unsupported suttas such as thig5.8 will be viewable and playable in v1.0.0. However, thig5.8 content will not be searchable until the sutta becomes supported with text segments.
  • Sections are designed to handle massive suttas such as DN33 or MN1. In those cases, they are crucial to navigation. Skipping back/forward to the next sutta is also desirable in search results for the reasons you’ve mentioned. The tradeoff here is UI clutter. Currently there are five controls in the Sutta Player tab cycle: Previous, Next, segment slider, Pause/Play and Close. I didn’t want to add more things to the tab cycle so I left out the Previous/Next Sutta buttons. However, given the need to traverse at the sutta level, I will add a hidden feature. In v1.0.0, pressing SHIFT-SPACE on the Previous/Next buttons will cause them to navigate at the sutta vs. section level.
  • The awkward splitting of all suttas into two or more sections is intended to separate the meta stuff (i.e., blurb) in section one from the actual sutta in section two. I can’t think of any other way to replicate the visual experience of providing both on the same page. Even SC pages have metastuff and sutta stuff on the same page. The two sections allow blind users to skip quickly from metastuff to sutta by using Tab/SHIFT-Tab. I acknowledge the awkwardness but haven’t hit on a better solution for blind users. The first section allows the blind user to hear the blurb as spoken by the screen reader. After hearing the blurb, the blind user can choose to open the second section. If the second section is auto-expanded or placed first, then the blind user is flooded with the ramblings of an overly-entusiastic screen reader. If you can, turn on your computer’s screen reader to hear this. Maybe together we can think up a better solution.
4 Likes

Karl, again I am deeply impressed by your work!

But I can’t find the link any more to open SuttaCentral voice. How do I get there?

(Not blind, but sometimes “menatally blind” :grin:)

1 Like

Click on sabbamitta :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: What an utterly awesome complement. Can I put that on my CV? At such a point when things become that dire that I have to get a “proper job” again, this will be a most honoured highlight.

And so, if you will allow me to crack the whip… :grin:

Yes, that is exactly what I suspected, which is why I took screenshot with the “Show only Pali text.” I have to admit, with already quite enough to do, my mission with Pali will have to remain on hold indefinitely so this isn’t a high priority feature for me, but I’d still like to know how to access it (1) just to see how it sounds and (2) because I’ve been thoroughly charmed by your description of how working on SCV has helped you develop your Pali and I wanted to see if maybe it would have a similar enticing effect :wink: .

Yep, as noted I was testing subsequent to a hard refresh (although, I didn’t know that shortcut so cheers!) and also in incognito mode. However, this point didn’t concern the stop/start issue (that has, indeed, been fixed for me), this point was about the Player stopping when it reaches an untranslated segment.

Yippeeeeeee! :anjal:

Muchos yippeeeeeee! :anjal:

Oh my goodness, there isn’t a “yippeeeeeee” long enough to cover it! :anjal:

That’s pretty much exactly what I suspected (btw, as per above completely see the real value this has in cases where there are many sections and think the ‘clutter’ is totally fine. I think I was more (aimlessly) thinking about those many cases where sectioning seems a bit redundant). As your honorary product manager, I’d suggest parking my thoughts on this one! :wink:

In fact, I’m enthusiastically for metastuff, but was just wondering if perhaps the reading of the sutta title more naturally belonged in the ‘sutta’ section. I’m all the more enthusicastically for anything that will support blind users, and as I was writing my initial message I started to wonder why the blurb itself wasn’t read out to help support them. From your answer I now wonder if maybe it’s more of a bug thing than a design thing, because the blurb (and in fact, everything apart from the sutta title) doesn’t play for me and if it did, having the section would make a lot more sense (although I still think the title belongs to the sutta itself :smiling_imp:). In turn:

Absolutely (I didn’t even realise my computer had a screen reader. Now, how exactly do I turn it on (I’m on Linux Mint 18.3)?

1 Like

Your work is most impressive, @karl_lew, and I think everyone has been wowed at your speed in development. :exploding_head::scream: And your search engine has proved more useful in most cases than the SC one imo… :confused:

5 Likes