SuttaCentral Voice v1.0.0 Released šŸ˜

I think the answer might be that it doesnā€™t at the moment: I also found the same, but I wanted to wait for others to report the same issue before adding it to the bug list. Thank you!

1 Like

Ok it is working now. I think I had this when I try to plays the Sutta from the search list. Now I go to the sutta and play it.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your feedback @SarathW1, much appreciated!

Iā€™ve thought this myself, too, but at the same time it should be easy to set the text size on your browser. The way I do it is by holding down ctrl and using the scroll wheel on my mouse - this works on FireFox, Chrome and Opera (Iā€™m on linux, but I think it should be the same for Windows. Perhaps a Mac user can say how to do it for Safari if needed).

Alternatively, on Chrome and Opera, you can also set the zoom size by clicking the magnifying glass at the end of the address bar:

I never got round to asking Karl, but I had wondered if heā€™d set the text size as he has in view of a consideration of how (the technology with which) partially sighted users might use the sightā€¦ ?

Actually, itā€™s really valuable to pick up on these minor issues so thanks again.

Iā€™m not 100% sure what you mean here, can you clarify?

2 Likes

The down load speed and play is very slow.
There is a slight delay in playing.
It downloads one line or phrase at a time it is great it can be down load in large chunks and play it to keep the flow.

2 Likes

Hey, can you describe for me exactly what you are doing so I can try to reproduce your experience and get a better understanding of the issue?

1 Like

Say I can download the full Sutta by pressing the down load arrow (pointed downwords)
After I can play the Sutta via a player.(like mp3 player) I can hear only the voice but cant see the text. I think it is just using a different player. Great thing about MP3 player is the continuety. But because it is computer generated it lacks the flow.

1 Like

I play the Sutta while reading the text.
It down load and play by small section at a time.

2 Likes

Right, yes, you can only download an audio file. The possibility of developing offline capability for the whole app has come up in discussion and this would meet your request here, but itā€™s a big, complex task, so for now, weā€™ll just have to wait and see.

What sutta. Are you certain this is an issue on the SCV end and that you donā€™t eg. have any connection issue? Does this happen for every sutta you play, all the time?

1 Like

yes thanks.

2 Likes

And how long is the gap between each segment being read?

2 Likes

Not a lot. This is how I see it
So I have herd.
gap
At one time the Buddha was staying near Ukkaį¹­į¹­hā, in the Subhaga Forest at the root of a magnificent sal tree.
gap
There the Buddha addressed the mendicants:
gap
etc

2 Likes

Yes, that is how SCV works, it is built on the back of SuttaCentralā€™s segmented texts.

The question is, is the gap between segments longer than it ought to be (ie. it disrupts a smooth reading). Would I be right to think that to your ears it sounds a bit jutty or something?

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if youā€™d do this test: Listen to a sutta with your eyes closed and check how smooth or ā€˜bumpyā€™ it sounds to you in that way.

2 Likes

Three to four seconds.
It is not that bad. but one second delay would have been better I think. When we speak the gap between sentence is about one second.
Isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Right thanks, this is very helpful, and yes, three or four seconds would be horribly long. For me it is generally one second or less.

Good readers of this thread, does anyone else have such a long gap?

Does this always happen? I just tried this, but cannot reproduce the bug.

2 Likes

yes
It cut of after 17 to 18 seconds. I think sound should g for another 5 to 6 seconds.

2 Likes

yes
I tested it with my stop watch.

2 Likes

Yes, youā€™re right, when I turned up my volume (to the point of potentially causing hearing loss :laughing:) I heard the cut off. Iā€™ll add this to the bug list.

3 Likes

Thank you @karl_lew and all others who contributed to this amazing ā€œvoice of the dhamma.ā€

5 Likes

For me itā€™s sometimes 1, sometimes 2ā€“3 seconds; occasionally longer. Iā€™ve got used to it meanwhile. :grin:

@Aminah, I think you are usually listening to Raveena only without the Pali. Maybe this also makes a difference?

3 Likes

Could well do! And, actually, when I continued testing I noticed that on some occasions it was a bit longer than one second. I think what also makes a difference is that Iā€™ve been listening to SCV for quite a while and have my own sense of ā€˜normalā€™ (ie. like you I might just have got used to it).

I havenā€™t tested enough to know, but one theory I have is that it depends on the segment size.

2 Likes