Suttas about two aspects of Kamma

Can someone point me to a sutta that states that karma is driven by intent?

Can someone also point me to a sutta that states that at anytime a person can begin to turn their karma around for a more positive outcome, that it isn’t fate?

1 Like

Nibbedhikasutta, AN6.63

Cetanāhaṁ, bhikkhave, kammaṁ vadāmi. Cetayitvā kammaṁ karoti—kāyena vācāya manasā.

It is intention, bhikkhus, that I call kamma. For having intended, one acts by body, speech, or mind.

See also the Kathāvatthu debate on whether Rupa can be ethically good or bad

8 Likes

Here, in the Devadaha Sutta, the Buddha goes to the Nigaṇṭhas, who hold the view that kamma is predestination, and shows them through their own experience that that is not the case.

6 Likes

AN 3.61; SN 35.146; AN 3.100; MN 86; SN 12.37

3 Likes

Often when I ask questions in this forum it is important to me. I will get 2-3 replies that respect that and give me answers. After that point someone will make the thread I started about them and some hair splitting argument with other forum members. That is frustrating when someone is trying to get information to solve a problem or have a discussion that has personal meaningful to them. I would like to thank everyone who answered my question and I don’t mean any insult, nor any disrespect to anyone who did not.

1 Like