Suttas related to Sickness

Hi

Can somebody advise which are the suttas that are related to sickness? How we cope and view sickness.

Thank you.

Ben

SN 52.10 anuruddha gravely ill (b.bodhi trans.)

1. Gravely Ill

1On one occasion the Venerable Anuruddha was dwelling at Sāvatthī in the Blind Men’s Grove, sick, afflicted, gravely ill. Then a number of bhikkhus approached the Venerable Anuruddha and said to him:

2“In what dwelling does the Venerable Anuruddha usually dwell so that the arisen bodily painful feelings do not persist obsessing his mind?”

3“It is, friends, because I dwell with a mind well established in the four establishments of mindfulness that the arisen bodily feelings do not persist obsessing my mind. What four? Here, friend, I dwell contemplating the body in the body … feelings in feelings … mind in mind … phenomena in phenomena, ardent, clearly comprehending, mindful, having removed covetousness and displeasure in regard to the world.

4“It is, friends, because I dwell with a mind well established in these four establishments of mindfulness that the arisen bodily painful feelings do not persist obsessing my mind.”

AN 10.60 girimananda sutta is really good.

I’d be interested to read what the commentary for that sutta says, but I suspect the ending of the sutta got a “hollywood ending” where he magically recovers from the grave illness upon hearing the 10 perceptions recited.

What would be much more realistic, and I suspect the true and original version of the sutta,
Girimananda dies at the end of the sutta from the grave illness, is reborn in the deva realm, with his memory of the 10 perceptions intact, as well as his memories of Dhamma, vinaya, the way of practice leading to Arahantship. Then abiding diligent, ardent, resolute, soon he realized the goal of the holy life…(attains arahantship while in the deva realm)

By giving the hollywood ending, AN 10.60 misses the point, and people treat it as another bojjhanga placebo paritta, a magical incantation to recover from illness.

What I seein this sutta, is the Buddha giving girimanda his final care package, a short summary of the holy life, so he can die well and quickly accomplish his mission upon rebirth in the deva realm with those 10 perceptions.

1 Like

MN143

1 Like

Isn’t there a sutta on right efffort on practice regardless of being sick :nauseated_face: or not?

1 Like

In a general fashion, AN 5.57 (in which the Blessed One encouraged everyone to reflect often on the body’s natural inclination to sickness (and old age, and death)).

Maybe you are looking for AN 8.80:

Furthermore, a mendicant feels a little sick. They think: ‘I feel a little sick. It’s possible this illness will worsen. I’d better preemptively rouse up energy …’ … This is the seventh ground for arousing energy.
Furthermore, a mendicant has recently recovered from illness. They think: ‘I’ve recently recovered from illness. It’s possible the illness will come back. I’d better preemptively rouse up energy for attaining the unattained, achieving the unachieved, and realizing the unrealized.’ They rouse energy for attaining the unattained, achieving the unachieved, and realizing the unrealized. This is the eighth ground for arousing energy.

5 Likes

@benlim

In case it is of interest, Ven Analyo has a book at in which he goes through numerous suttas (in the Chinese agamas and their Pali prarallels) which concern how to deal with illness

4 Likes