Suttas the words of the buddha?

So I randomly found this uncited on Reddit (and keep in mind this could well be a fake sutta because it is uncited):

Buddha and Ananda were walking thorugh a forest in Autumn (fall).

Ananda asked Buddha after being with him for many year,"Have you told us everything about the Truth? Is there anything you have kept secret or anything that you did not want to tell?

The forest was fully covered with fall leaves. Buddha bent down and grabbed as many leaves as he can and said," This is all I can say. The Truth is like all these fallen leaves in the forest. The Truth is larger than anything we could ever imagine and the language we use is mediocre compared to the Truth. I cannot say everything about the Truth. You will have to know it yourself. That is the only way to know It."

It has the dialogue between Ven Ananda and the Buddha. Iā€™ll do some more looking to see if this came from anywhere.

EDIT: this one is fake. It is just a coincidence both this one and what Ven Bhavaviveka cites both have Ven Ananda.

Says the person who posted it on Reddit: ā€œI heard this story from an enlightened master and so I put it in my own words.ā€ :upside_down_face:

Yes. That is how it works when you get a teaching from an alleged enlightened master, you change it to suit yourself better.

2 Likes

Twisting the Simsapasutta is a long tradition. Look at this terrible (IMO) article from the Tricycle magazine from Fall 2020. And they are citing the Pali version, not some eccentric version, making their twisting rather deliberate.

Yet in certain places the suttas complicate any such finality. A famous passage from the Samyutta Nikaya relates the moment when the Buddha, taking up some leaves from a simsapa or rosewood tree, asks rhetorically, ā€œWhat do you think, monks: Which are more numerous, the few simsapa leaves in my hand or those overhead in the simsapa forest? . . . In the same way, monks, those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerousā€ (SN 56.31). The Buddha held back, he goes on to say, in order to focus on the basics, but he still left a lot for us to learn. And his followers woke up in a variety of ways that introduced fresh perspectives as well. This ongoing process of discovery would explain why we have so many sutras now, and why the authors of those sutras must have felt unashamed when they put new words in the Buddhaā€™s mouth. They must have seen the dharma as a project that would lead later generations into terrains unimagined by the World Honored One. Yes, he turned the dharma wheel, but it would need to turn again without him.

I suspect youā€™ve overestimated me, bhante, but I will give it a look.

I missed this. Itā€™s called Tarkajvālā, but I know nothing about it.

2 Likes

Oh. It looks like I would need to learn Tibetan to find that passage.

Malcolm Eckel has translated chapters 4 and 5 in his Bhāviveka and His Buddhist Opponents. I think these are probably the most interesting chapters for those who donā€™t have any especial interest in the Madhyamaka.

Here are the chapter contents of the whole work:

Exposition of Bhāvivekaā€™s own view

1. Not giving up the mind of awakening (bodhicittāparityāga)
  2. Taking the vow of an ascetic (munivratasamāśraya)
  3. Seeking the knowledge of reality (tattvajƱānaiį¹£aį¹‡Ä)

Critiques of the views of non-Madhyamaka Buddhists

1. Introduction to the analysis of reality according to the Śrāvakas (śrāvakatattvaviniścayāvatāra)
  2. Introduction to the analysis of reality according to the Yogācāras (yogācāratattvaviniścayāvatāra)

Critiques of four Hindu darśanas

1. Introduction to reality according to the Sāį¹ƒkhyas (sāį¹ƒkhyatattvāvatāra)
  2. Analysis of reality according to the Vaiśeį¹£ikas (vaiśeį¹£ikatattvaviniścaya)
  3. Analysis of reality according to the Vedānta (vedāntatattvaviniścaya)
  4. Introduction to the analysis of reality according to the MÄ«māį¹ƒsā (mÄ«māį¹ƒsātattvanirį¹‡ayāvatāra)

Critique of the Jains

1. Exposition of the realization of omniscience (sarvajƱatāsiddhinirdeśa)

Four verses in praise of the Buddha

1. Exposition of praise and characteristics (stutilakį¹£aį¹‡anirdeśa)
5 Likes

Oh, that is bad. As a general rule I recommend ignoring people who use the word ā€œcomplicateā€ as a verb. I think itā€™s academic speak for ā€œI have to come up with a novel interpretation in order to get a grade/publishedā€. :wink:

2 Likes

Can you give examples of these clusters and the stages they pertain to, aside from the two suttas mentioned?

Where can I find it?

1 Like

By ā€œstagesā€ is meant the interests at a particular time, which depends on temperament and is very much an individual matter. Rather than give examples I am more interested in practitioners developing the skill, which means starting with what they know and building on that. The thread which links one sutta to another is meaning, and this is specified in MN 95 and AN 7.64.

ā€œHearing the Dhamma, he remembers it. Remembering it, he penetrates the meaning of those dhammas. Penetrating the meaning, he comes to an agreement through pondering those dhammas. There being an agreement through pondering those dhammas, desire arises.ā€ā€”-MN 95

ā€œComes to an agreementā€ means comparing new material with suttas already known and understood, and ideally consolidated by direct experience.

ā€œIf he didnā€™t know the meaning of this & that statement ā€” ā€˜This is the meaning of that statement; that is the meaning of thisā€™ ā€” he wouldnā€™t be said to be one with a sense of meaning. So itā€™s because he does know the meaning of this & that statement ā€” ā€˜This is the meaning of that statement; that is the meaning of thisā€™ ā€” that he is said to be one with a sense of meaning. This is one with a sense of Dhamma & a sense of meaning.ā€ā€”-AN 7.64

There are certain words in the suttas with specialized meanings, such as ā€œestablishā€ and ā€œ develop.ā€ The establishment of mindfulness or any other path structure means its individual components and linear arrangement are known and implemented. Development means the structure is brought into functioning operation. This involves a cyclic process where in Satipatthana the fourth foundation is brought to bear on the three preceding it.

The idea of development within the Satipatthana sutta:

Establishment: ā€œIn this way he remains focused internally on the body in & of itself, or externally on the body in & of itself, or both internally & externally on the body in & of itself.

Development: "Or he remains focused on the phenomenon of origination with regard to the body, on the phenomenon of passing away with regard to the body, or on the phenomenon of origination & passing away with regard to the body. "ā€”MN 10

By comparing the two above statements, readers should be able to discern the principles of establishment (singularity) and development (movement).

The terse nature of the Sutta Pitaka is shown when this development is explained in SN 47.40, and without the help of other suttas, understanding the Satipatthana sutta would not be possible.

1 Like

Itā€™s not released yet, but itā€™ll be in the next batch at Dharma Pearls in a week or two.

1 Like