SuttaSearching concerning the end of a kalpa

I am wondering if we can compile in this thread Buddhavacana concerning the destruction of the world at the end of a kalpa from the Pāli Canon, ideally from EBTs.

From there we can look into the Sarvāstivāda āgama-parallels preserved in Chinese to see if we can substantiate the claim in Abhidharmakośa that, according to the dispensation preserved by the Sarvāstivāda, only the bṛhatphalāḥ (heavens of the 4th dhyāna and devāḥ associated therewith) maintain themselves after the destruction of the kāmadhātu and the end of a kalpa. This is in contrast to the dispensation to the śrāvakāḥ preserved in Pāli, which maintains that the brahmālokāḥ remains undestroyed at the end of a kalpa.

3 Likes

This is a mistake. It is the ābhāssarā that are undestroyed (Aggaññasutta, Catuvaṇṇasuddhi).

Much to my stunned amazement, not one of Bhante Sujato’s segmented translations has the word kalpa. I had to search for kappa. This is all I could find. Of these, only AN4.156 uses “eon”:

SN 22.124 With Kappa
matches: 11 of 13
SN 22.125 With Kappa (2nd)
matches: 10 of 18
Thag 10.5 Kappa
matches: 5 of 16
AN 4.156 Eons
matches: 1 of 15
Thag 10.4 Cūḷapanthaka
matches: 1 of 16
Thag 10.6 Vaṅgantaputtaupasena
matches: 1 of 16
SN 22.123 Educated
matches: 1 of 21
SN 22.126 Liable To Originate
matches: 1 of 43
SN 6.4//SN 175 With Baka the Brahmā
matches: 1 of 52

1 Like

Copy-pasted from DharmaWheel:

(Williams, Buddhism: Critical Concepts in Religious Studies, Vol. II, The Early Buddhist Schools and Doctrinal History; Theravāda Doctrine, 110-112)

Footnote 40:

Later in the text, it mentions that Ven Vasubandhu has a similar explanation for a universal attainment of dhyāna predicated on “the trace (vāsanā) of previous […] attainment.”

(Williams 113, citing footnote 48: “Vyākhyā to Abhidh-k-bh 8:38c-d: upadeśam antareṇāyataḥ pūrvadhyānavāsanāyāṃ satyāṃ dhyānotpattir iti.")

I wonder if this is an Abhidharma/Visuddhimagga vs sūtra/sutta matter…

1 Like