Technical aspects of meditation

I will let you know after one of my naps. :yum:

1 Like

Tomorrows headline " Arm chair yogi reaches nibbana napping" :grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

What happens before this? What changes.?

So is it needed to remove ‘layers of past karmic debt’ to become enlightened…?

2 Likes

Bhanga is very short experience of loosing the feeling of the body, it is like disappearing, but you will be right back immediately. Our mind has a strong grip of the body , it is like loosing that grip. Then you will be normal. And then purification is triggered.
Yes we have to eradicate the huge stock of karmic debt.That keeps multiplying when we react. That is what Buddha called as becoming in the dependent origination. Eradication is the reversing of DO. No ignorance - no sankaras - no consciousness - no mind and matter etc… As the body needs food and oxygen to survive every moment. Mind needs sankaras to survive every moment. As these sankaras are eradicated completely there is no more mind only pure awareness.
Vipassana is a hardwork nodoubt. It is only till around 2000 hours then it will become daily routine. :grinning:

Is that 2 hours a day, or more? (Sorry I’m digressing a bit here.)

1 Like

:grinning:not at all mat keep asking we are here to discuss and discover​:grinning: it is 3 hours a day morning 1 1/2 and evening 1 1/2 hours

1 Like

Please disclose that this is according to Goenka (and his teachers). These are not facts, nor self-evident experiences, nor have you backed it up by sutta quotes. Obviously you believe in Goenka’s framing & producing of experiences, but it doesn’t mean that there is a direct line to the experience of others.

Some teachers have their specific terminology, and because Goenka’s words are enshrined into tapes played to so many people, his followers use this jargon - which is okay (the EBT also has its jargon) but it’s necessary to be qualified so that people who are not familiar with the Goenka framework understand that it’s the language of a specific school.

Yet, the ‘eradication of a huge stock of karmic debt’ is more Jain than Buddhist (even though there are aspects of it in the suttas too, e.g. the supposed duration of a lifetime in heaven or hell).

5 Likes

:+1: Sorry Gabriel if I created misunderstandings in you. Sincerely speaking I have not studied even a single sutta completely in sutta central or elsewhere. I have studied quite number of spiritual books . I know nothing about Jain’s or Buddhists. Whatever I have commented it is the knowledge gained out of my own practice. Here in I declare whatever I have commented is the jargon out of ’ S.N.Goenka and u ba kin ’ teachings ,nothing to do with any buddhism and I have nothing to substantiate out of suttas, :grinning:

3 Likes

No problem really, you have of course a legitimate position, it’s just good to tell others where our understanding comes from (teachers, own experience, suttas, etc.). Thanks

1 Like

Temporarily closing for moderator review.

This topic was automatically opened after 23 hours.

To follow up on my own question, does anyone know if the commentaries or paracanonical material contain such advice with some level of detail?

1 Like

Hello all,

@dhammadharo is making a good faith attempt at getting the original question answered so the thread will be left open. If it goes back to off-topic discussion it will be permanently closed.

1 Like

The Visuddhimagga says:

1. Herein, crosswise is the sitting position with the thighs fully locked. Folded: having locked. Set his body erect: having placed the upper part of the body erect with the eighteen backbones resting end to end. For when he is seated like this, his skin, flesh and sinews are not twisted, and so the feelings that would arise moment by moment if they were twisted do not arise. That being so, his mind becomes unified, and the meditation subject, instead of collapsing, attains to growth and increase. - pg. 263
6 Likes

Good, thanks.

4 Likes