Thank you very much, Herzlichen Dank!

Dear SuttaCentral
thank you very much for the translations of the many, many sutras into the German language.
what a treasure trove this site is for our DE speaking friends.
why did it take so long for us to find this site? lol

we will be linking SuttaCentral to our site sofort.
…and of course we will reciprocate your generous donation of time, effort, knowledge and dedication with a bit of Dāna.

12 Likes

Welcome here, basho!

What website is it where you want to link SuttaCentral to?

2 Likes

Zentrum für Zen-Buddhismus
www.zzbzurich.ch

1 Like

:grin:

Hi basho,

the German translations are here on SuttaCentral thanks to the German publishers, namely Beyerlein & Steinschulte and Jhana-Verlag, who kindly gave permission to use them here. In case you are also interested in the printed books you can get them from these publishers.

So it’s nice to see that the Swiss Zen practitioners have discoverd SuttaCentral now… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Sabbamitta
Thanx for the links to the publishers. I’ve browsed them both and will get into a deeper look over time. We, of course, recognize the name Ayya Khema and my partner has heard of K.E. Neumann (i not). I can imagine some of Neumann’s work finding its way into the ZZB library.

“So it’s nice to see that the Swiss Zen practitioners have discoverd SuttaCentral now”

Well, some of them anyway. :smile_cat:
We hope to "spread the word."
And although some might say that Zen isn’t about words one could also argue that neither is Buddhism.

Wishing you well
basho

1 Like

K.E. Neumann was a pioneer translator who was of the first generation to translate the Buddhist texts into European languages. This is indeed a great achievement!

One of the drawbacks of his translation is however that he was not a meditator, and especially those passages that deal with meditation are not easy to grasp and translate without having at least some experience. Moreover, his language—poetic as it is—sounds rather old fashioned for modern readers. And some of his expressions just don’t make sense to me; maybe they did at the time, but today I find them difficult.

After discovering the English translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi I personally lost a bit my interest in these German pioneer works. That doesn’t mean I don’t have much appreciation for them in terms of what they are: really pioneer works that have allowed access to the Buddhist teachings to so many German speaking people already!

And now, following a bit Bhante Sujato’s English translation work on Discourse here, I really wish someone could do the same for German!

1 Like

Translation, a recurring nightmare for us but one with a silver lining. I write in English and my partner translates into German. Sometimes we chew on the meaning of a word for days. The word “mind” comes to mind. There are so many possible expressions in DE to use for mind whereas in English it seems not to be so. But the constant discussion clarifies and polishes the understanding one is trying to convey so it all works out in the end.

As you say “talking the talk but not doing the walk” leaves one with an academic translation, at best. As you, i think this sort of translation should be backed up with a practice. But i would guess that would be true for almost any translation. I don’t think i’d put too much faith in a book on brain surgery translated by banker. lol

There is so much “good stuff” out there that should be in the German language. J. Krishnamurti comes immediately to mind, for example. Oh well, maybe next time around. lol

1 Like