The anti-dote to ungratefulness suttas?

Obviously I kinda know that it’s the opposite but is there any sutta saying in a direct way that certain way is to combat ungratefulness?

Your own ungratefulness or others?

Either way I think SN 47.19 is what you’re looking for.

1 Like

May I suggest to reframe your question? Instead of focusing on “antidote to ungratefulness”, how about we focus instead on “gratefulness”?
So, if we focus now on “gratefulness”, let’s see what do we expect to see from the person who exhibits grateful behavior?
Do we see the same behaviors with another person who practices “mettā”?

So, my answer is to look for suttas which shows us how to practice “mettā:smiley:

There was another post about gratefulness, it helped but I think there was lacking suttas recommending what to do.

I understand what you mean. But was looking for somewhere it really goes deep in saying either right resolutions of gratefulness. Besides metta that has sympathetic joy. Which I know.

Oh if it’s more about personal practice then there’s a sutta about “kataññū” which translates into “mindful of former service, grateful”.
https://suttacentral.net/an2.32-41/en/sujato?layout=sidebyside&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin
But it’s not quite “combating” anything, didn’t think that what you’re looking for :smiley:
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Gratitude in Theravada is an aspect of mundane right view as defined in MN 117 with regard to mother and father, and the best way to show it is giving the gift of dhamma. Integrity is stressed, which prepares the practitioner for breaking away from the immediate external influence of conventional reality and adhering to the path. This means they are doing an action for something that happened a long time ago, and in following the path it is acting in the present for the fruition of kamma in the future- that’s integrity.

AN 2. 31-32:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.031.than.html

I think you may be expecting a bit too much from the suttas. They mostly give frameworks for approaching the path, and only rarely give specific e.g. meditation instructions.

Perhaps start by being grateful for all that the suttas do provide! :joy:

1 Like

Bhante, but I think I read it once but it was on AccesstoInsight

1 Like