The Buddha's omniscience and Selective Attention - Buddhists and Selective Attention

If anyone is interested:

The Buddha and Omniscience — Bhikkhu Anālayo

8 Likes

If anyone is interested:

The Buddha and Omniscience — Bhikkhu Anālayo

I was just going to recommend that myself, Its definately worth reading!

1 Like

The Dharma Wheel symbol can perfectly representing the nature of, or the working mechanism of the Universe, namely the cycle of repetition and the rotation.

Here is shown :

1. The cycle of formation and destruction of the galaxy.
  2. The physical rotation of the galaxy.
  3. The cycle of formation and destruction of stellar system.
  4. The physical rotation of the stellar system.
  5. The formation process of the celestial objects, such as the sun and the planets.
  6. Spiral formation of the galaxy and hurricane.
  7. The physical rotation of the electrons surrounds the atomic nucleus.
  8. Circulatory Cycle.
  9. Cell tissue life cycle.
1 Like

Once the Blessed One was staying at Kosambi in the Simsapa forest. Then, picking up a few Simsapa leaves with his hand, he asked the monks, “What do you think, monks : Which Simsapa leaves are more numerous, the one in my hand or those overhead in the Simsapa forest ?”
"The leaves in the hand of the Blessed One are few in number, lord. Those overhead in the forest are far more numerous. "
"In the same way, monks, those things that I have noticed have much more [by what I have taught]. And why have not I taught them ? Because they are not connected with the goal, do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them…

( A quotes from the Simsapa Sutta )

1 Like

MN 12:

Sariputta, … should anyone say of me: ‘The recluse Gotama … teaches a Dhamma hammered out by reasoning…’— unless he abandons that assertion, … he will wind up in hell.

By encompassing mind with mind I understand a certain person thus: ‘This person so behaves, so conducts himself, has taken such a path that on the dissolution of the body, after death, he will reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell.

I understand the gods, and the path and way leading to the world of the gods. And I also understand how one who has entered this path will, on the dissolution of the body, after death, reappear in a happy destination, in the heavenly world.

MN 45:

Thus they take to gulping down sensual pleasures, and having done so, on the dissolution of the body, after death, they reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, even in hell.

MN 22:

those who have sufficient faith in me, sufficient love for me, are all headed for heaven

Just few of very many examples… there are many predictions in the suttas

1 Like

Pretty sure the “Divine Eye” is said to supposedly be able to see the future rebirth destinations of beings passing away and being reborn according to their kamma.

1 Like

Why preach rather than not preach, however?

Agree.
It is not a prediction. It is seen what had happened.

had happened or will happen?

Had happened as far as I know.
Buddha will not know what will be my next birth going to be.

The Buddha clearly states, “If you try to figure out what my powers are, you’ll wind up crazy or upset.”

As the great sage, I propose we trust that wisdom.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas[1] is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

1. I.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha.
2 Likes

http://www.sacred-texts.com/journals/oc/gppt6.htm

Although the orbital trajectories of the celestial objects are fixed, but because of the Law of Impermanence, this will results after a very long period of time, that their positions change or shift far enough and this might cause a collision between the objects, or at least their trajectories cross to each other. This could explains the phenomenon of the appearance of the seven sun sometime in the far future, and it seems that the Buddha already knew about this…

1 Like