The choice of suffering vs love

Oh the process is actually what the Buddha spoke of in this sutta on Dependent origination SuttaCentral

It’s a nice little sutta, full of meaning.

What is freed from defilements is one’s mind.

3 Likes

Do you agree that both the grasper and not grasper are the mind ?

Personal identity are entirely a mental activity. Among the 5 aggregates, only sankara is capable of constructing view.
The rest 4 aggregates each server a single atomic function, and no element can vary or participate their dedicated purpose.
Conscious knows, percept perceives, feeling feels and form is.
Thus these 4 aggregates can only be discerned, comprehended. They are incapable of misbehaving but capable of misunderstood.
The only aggregate can be cultivated is sankara, or fabrication. All of 8 fold path are pertaining to mental or bodily/speech fabrication development.
Identity view, being a mental construct, was cultivated. Thus it can be cultivated, eroded into dispating.

1 Like

There’s only grasping, no grasper. Ultimate view speaking.

3 Likes

As Bhante @NgXinZhao said in his post, there is only grasping, there is no ‘grasper’.

The Buddha pointed out in his teaching of Dependent origination (hopefully you got a chance to read the sutta I linked before in the earlier post), grasping or upadana is one of the links in the chain of dependent origination.

As I undertand it, the mind is separate to the different states that one can experience.

So therefore anger, greed, jealousy, love, compassion etc. these are different states that the mind can experience.

If you have a glass of water, and you add a red dye to it, the water turns from clear to red, it takes on the red dye.

But would you say that the water and the dye are the same thing?
Before you added the red dye, the water and the dye were two separate things.

3 Likes

So the grasping and freed are states of mind, aren’t they ?

Boiling, frozen, melting are states of water But we can still ask who the boiler is or what the frozer is

For example “the frozen water in Iceland is melting” in this case the frozer is climate, I think the frozer is the conditioner who conditions the water to frozen state or any conditioner is the one who conditions something to a conditioned state, we can also say that the water is conditioned by the conditioner(in this case it’s frozer) to a frozen state or something is conditioned by a conditioner to a conditioned state

Using this inference and logic when we say the “that grasping mind have evil intention” obviously the grasper is the conditioner here who conditions the mind to a grasping state

I find that craving is the grasper here

Furthermore by grasping aggregates I think buddha refers to any craving that grasps the 5 aggregates

Now assuming ignorance has no beginning and time is sequential we can infer that ignorance and ignorant are the same

now it’s why I think buddha said cessation of craving is nibbana as third noble truth not cessation of ignorance even though both achieve the same thing